Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Tone Blair

Lifes Garbage LG washer slow drain

14 posts in this topic

Md. wm2688hnm.

Customer complained of slow drain error code.

Of course when i got there it was working properly.

I noticed the house standpipe seemed to be full of water, so i pulled out the washer drain hose slighty to check if it were draining properly and it seemed to be draining pretty good, so i didnt take apart the pump, or the check the drain hose.

I ran a diagnostic cycle and a regular cycle with clothes in it, and it ran fine both times, no error code, no wet clothes.

Got a call back, its saying the same thing.

So, is this a pump issue? Pressure switch? Computer? Clogged stand pipe? Clogged drain hose? Crazy customer?

Thanks!!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... I noticed the house standpipe seemed to be full of water

... Clogged stand pipe?

Supposedly the customers "cleaned" out the drain pipe, not sure what that meant, but when i pulled the drain hose out a bit and could hear it draining, it sounded fine, i even marked the drain hose so the customer knew not to push it further than that, not sure if they paid attention to that though.

Any other ideas?

Did ya check the pump filter?

gallery_4_5_32445.jpg

If that pump filter is gunked up that in the picture above, they probably have an odor problem, too--- or soon will.  May want edumucate them on preventing odor problems:  http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-629-9-ways-to-beat-odor-problems-in-modern-high-efficiency-front-load-and-top-load-washers/

I think I see my watch in that filter!  Be sure there is enough of an air gap where the drain hose goes into the standpipe.

Filter is super clean! That was my first go to. They said it doesnt happen all the time, so im thinking weird computer thing, or something to do with the standpipe?

Starting to sound like a detergent or oversudsing problem.

Ok, is there a better solution to get rid of the suds? Or just flush it out with fresh water?

I was also thinking about the airgap, when i first got there the drain hose was pushed down far in the standpipe, and i couldnt hear the water draining, but when i pulled out the hose a little i could start hearing it.

Got it, ill recommend it.

Finally got back, and sho nuff, the drain pump was bad!

I actually removed the windings from it and separated the impeller from the housing and there was a bunch of scrud inside it!!

Installed new pump, and then the damn thing started to overfill!!!!

Wholly sh!

Blew out a couple pressure hoses and bam, back to normal!

All fixed! Im happy, the customers happy!!

Game Over!!

Nice work! Now you're a hero for a day! :dude:

Once you've eliminated the suds as a potential issue, if the problem still remains, then this is characteristic of a drain pump failing under load:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/4681EA2001T/2003273?modelNumber=WM2688HNM

Drain-Pump-4681EA2001T-01367897.jpg

Finally got back, and sho nuff, the drain pump was bad!

I actually removed the windings from it and separated the impeller from the housing and there was a bunch of scrud inside it!!

Installed new pump, and then the damn thing started to overfill!!!!

Wholly sh!

Blew out a couple pressure hoses and bam, back to normal!

All fixed! Im happy, the customers happy!!

Game Over!!

Seeing more and more of these LG pumps with damaged/separated impellers.  Have been common truck stock item for a while.