Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Evap coil cleaning (CD5AXA060024ABAA)

crosstalk

Hello.  I'm looking for some advice on my system and coil cleaning.  I have a carrier infinity system with coil model CD5AXA060024ABAA.  When I bought the house two years ago, I noticed that the electronic air cleaner was switched off.  The EAC prefilter was really dirty.  I just removed the EAC elements and replaced with a 4" media filter because EACs are too much work in my opinion.  Then I noticed the A-coil was freezing over.  I tired to clean the coil and called a technician out for repair.  He told me two things: (1) compressor was not original carrier and looked like it had been replaced; (2) the txv was an r-22 model and he replaced it with an r-410a model.  He suspected that the compressor had probably been replaced due to the incorrect expansion valve.  When he worked on the system to replace the txv (located just outside the evap coil enclosure), he couldn't get the all the refrigerant back into the condenser, so he had to add some (after replacing the valve of course).  Presumably the refrigerant charge was correct at that time.

Last year, I replaced the filter media.  AC was functioning normally.  In the winter, I noticed that the furnace high limit trips (according to the service mode event history on the infinity thermostat) if the return closest to the unit is blocked (toy box tends to move in front of it).

This year, the evap coil is freezing again.  I have this feeling that the underside of the coil is really dirty because the system could have been running for years without an effective filter.  The blower wheel was/is dirty too (tried to clean that with vacuum two years ago).  When I open the evap access panel, I don't have access to the end caps of the coil.  In other words, I am looking at the fins on one side.  My cleaning technique has consisted of spraying coil cleaner on the front and reaching over the top of the coil and spraying on the back as best I can.

Here are my questions.  If I remove more of the duct/evap casing so I have access to the end cap, will I be able to remove the end cap to clean the underside of the a-coil?  How else can this be done without pulling the coil?  Is cleaning from the top side likely to be enough?  I have an appt on wed. with another technician but would like to get some opinions on whether it would be worth pulling the coil to clean it.  Thanks for reading!

... EACs are too much work in my opinion.  

... Then I noticed the A-coil was freezing over.

... In the winter, I noticed that the furnace high limit trips (according to the service mode event history on the infinity thermostat)

if the return closest to the unit is blocked (toy box tends to move in front of it).

... I don't have access to the end caps of the coil.  In other words, I am looking at the fins on one side. 

If I remove more of the duct/evap casing so I have access to the end cap, will I be able to remove the end cap to clean the underside of the a-coil?

1) ? ?

2) completely frosted ?    OR just one area ?   may be an air-flow problem / filter / fan   pictures ?

3) may be an air-flow problem / filter / fan

4) pictures ?

(1) EAC- I tried to clean it and use it but wasn't sure it was working.

(2) The back side seems mostly frosted (by feel reaching over the top).  The front side that I can see is frosted in one section across the center.

I don't have pictures right now but can post some tonight.  Thanks.

If I cant access the underside of the coils i get a garden hose in there and spray the coils through the top.

You may have a clogged capillary tube.

... If I cant access the underside of the coils i get a garden hose in there and spray the coils through the top.

may depend on where the Evaporator Coils are located ...

basement :thumbsup:

attic :woot:

living area  :woot: 

The system is located basement.  I am afraid if I use a garden hose I am going to flood the whole unit.  Will the water be contained in the drip pan?

the txv was an r-22 model and he replaced it with an r-410a model.  
This is an R22 Unit. Replacing the expansion valve is not the right thing to do as R410 is not compatable with the oils used in R22 systems.

Did he flush the coil and lines out ? Also list the numbers on the "Compressor and I can tell if it's a Carrier Compressor.

I don't have the condenser model written down.  Will get that later.  The condenser is labeled puron and the coil is labeled for either r-22 or r-410a.  The last tech also told me that compressor had been changed out at some point because it wasn't the exact model or genuine carrier part.