Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Older Lennox airhandler, replaced blower motor but it keeps shutting off

blairville

Hello and thanks in advance.

We recently moved into a house where the previous owner trashed every appliance except the dishwasher. We have limited funds so trying to do this on our own. This is a heat pump with inside air handler. It is a lennox Model No. CB29M, and it is old, from 1995. The blower motor was replaced in 2009 with a new run capacitor and again a new capacitor replaced in 2010. The previous owner before bad one kept immaculate records. We saw the blower motor was fried, it was visible. We bought a 1/2 HP, off of Home depot.com, the only difference from burnt one was the amps were 3.5 on the old one and 6.5-9.0 on the new one. Anyway, long story short, we hooked it up, it shuts off within 15 seconds. No clicks, nothing, it just stops. Outside unit is working and coils are clean and cold. The blower motor is also getting very hot, which could be the thermal self protection kicking in and turning itself off. We bought a new capacitor with with the motor and checked it after attempts, and voltmeter says it is fine. Could I please get some guidance as to what to check next? Maybe the blower relay is bad?, but if it was, it would not come on at all, or am  wrong about that? Any advice would be helpful.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blairville

• RegUS_PatOff

• jumptrout

• Bobice

What voltage does the air handler operate on? 120? 240?
What voltage is the old motor?
What voltage is the new motor?
Microfarad )mfd) on the capacitors?
What volt rating for motor capacitors? 370....440?

Correct blower wheel rotation?

What is fan voltage OUT of the relay board?

Why twice the amperage ?

sounds like

the "old" Motor was 220v

and "new" Motor is 120v  :whistling:

old Motor part number ?

new Motor part number ?

What voltage does the air handler operate on? 120? 240?

What voltage is the old motor?

What voltage is the new motor?

Microfarad )mfd) on the capacitors?

What volt rating for motor capacitors? 370....440?

Correct blower wheel rotation?

What is fan voltage OUT of the relay board?

It is 240

Voltage for both is the 208-230

10 MFD 370

yes, correct blower wheel rotation because when it was on, it was blowing real hard in the house.

The last question, are you asking about the voltage out of the blower relay?

sounds like

the "old" Motor was 220v

and "new" Motor is 120v  :whistling:

old Motor part number ?

new Motor part number ?

Both motors are 208-230.

Old part Emerson K55HXTGB-8797

New part AO Smith DL1056

Like I said before, they were exactly the same except for amperage.

Should I return the home depot part and get the correct amped one? There is a Grainger store nearby, they have one there.

Thanks again for your advice. I don't know when the last motor was "fried". The last owner bought the property in 2010 and moved out april 2012, so this house has been empty since then.

Edited by blairville

When I ordered the part, the home depot AO Smith part, it said it was the 208-230v, which is obviously incorrect, according to your link above and other ones on the net. That is the first thing I checked. Well there you go. Hopefully after taking this one back and getting the correct one, I will make sure it is the correct voltage, I will get the new part from Grainger, my A/C will work correctly and not shut down. Thanks all, I will update when exchanged.

Edited by blairville

When I ordered the part, the home depot AO Smith part, it said it was the 208-230v,

should be a model / rating / required capacitor / plate on the Motor

Well, went to Grainger, got the part. Everything is working fine. Probably needs freon, though. Does not seem to be blowing that cold. What is freon going for these days? It is the R22 type. Wished it was the newer one. It is a Trane, installed in 2007.

No refrigerant is inexpensive any more.

The price varies across the country.

Could be anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars a pound in your area.

R410a is only slightly less.

EPA.