Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
kathyplumb

Pinhole in Frigidaire outer tub

6 posts in this topic

Hi!

A drywall screw caused a tiny pinhole leak in the bottom of my upright Frigidaire outer tub.  I called JB Weld and they did not recommend any of their products because they feared the tub was made of polyethlyene.  3M told me the same thing.  I can't tell fiberglass from polyethylene.

I stumbled upon Slap Stix but unfortunately the pinhole is right next to a protruding tab so there isn't a flat space all the way around it, so I assume that wouldn't work.

I'm hoping to find a product to repair the hole from the outside without having to remove the inner tub  to get to the inside.

Any suggestions for proven remedies?  I'm a chick, but I'm handy!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

P.S.  The plastic ID symbol on bottom of the tub is a 7.  It says, "PP-T22" underneath.  I guess that stands for polypropylene...

There's a product I use to tape around the AC air handler access panel.  It is 2" wide and comes in a 25 foot roll. NOT the plain, thin sticky foil tape. This stuff is about 1/8 inch thick.  I don't know the exact name for it, but any AC parts house should carry it. Not sure if HD or Lowes has it.

It has a silver backing and an extremely strong adhesive sealer on it (probably water proof for a pinhole size leak).  Very flexible and you can cut to fit. Just make sure surface is clean and dry before applying the tape.

Hope this helps.

I would use epoxy. Clean the area, rough it up with some sand paper, clean it again, then make your epoxy patch. You could even remove the basket, and patch it from the inside too. I've used JB weld and Loctite brand epoxies with no issues.

Thanks much. Good to know

Looky here.  Says it structurally bonds polypropylene!    1 oz $14.95

TAP Poly-Weld Adhesive

TAP Poly-Weld Adhesive: Imagine being able to structurally bond Polyethylene!!! This has been virtually impossible in the past. Now, with a simple flame treatment and Poly-Weld, one can create strong joints on Low, Medium, or High Density Polyethylene. Use for tank, door, pipe, irrigation, pond, marine, float, & automotive body repairs. Also bonds polypropylene, ABS, PVC, ceramics, rubber, fiberglass, metals, and glass. Exterior-rated. Non-sag formula.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/adhesives_glues_sealants/tap_poly_weld_adhesive/435