Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
vineman

GE range JSP39BK2BB has 240 volts at broiler element

15 posts in this topic

Fixing a GE electric range with an F-7 error code (would not take selections). Put a new board in and fixed the F-7. Now bake element won't heat. Took voltage readings at the bake element got Zero volts. Read the terminals at the broiler element during preheat and got 240 volts. Rechecked the wiring to make sure all was correct and all was correctly located. Any thoughts on what's up?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

some model Ovens (and updated Controllers)

alternate between the Bake and Broil during Pre-Heat

What happens when you put it into broil?

When I set it to broil I get 240 volts. I only know that in bake I get nothing.

Edited by vineman

I'm sorry, I didn't ask the question properly. Where do you get the voltage at in broil.

I set my meter probes in the terminal wires at the broil heat element.

See above. Some controls alternate between Bake and Broil during the preheat. If that's not happening then you either wired it wrong or you have a control that is bad. I've see many new control boards that are bad right out of the box.

If the part came with any instructions make sure you followed them properly. Don't ever be to proud to read the instructions

That's what they were printed for.

During the pre-heat time (or after)

Does the Bake Element ever turn ON ?

Reg - no it never got voltage.

Spanner - Since I never got 240 volts I suspected a bad control board.  However I was very skeptical of a new board being bad out of the box. Your comments give me confidence to try another board unless you see something I have missed.

If you just purchased the board you can get it exchanged from the vendor. If it doesn't work after that then you're missing something else. When I ask if you rif ead the directions I wasn't trying to insult you, but a lot of times the replacement part is different from the original.

Hard to insult me. No ego in appliance repair, just questions. Appreciate your response. I plan to replace the control board, I'll post a comment when I get the results of that in. Thanks again.

Also check bake element for short.  Had one take out a brand new control where the control would energize the bake element for 1 second then deenergize.  Would energize the broil element just fine.

Good idea, I will check that. Thanks

Ok, got the replacement board and simply put it works. Go figure, I never suspected a bad board out of the box. I'm careful about safe handling (static charges) so I ruled that one out. Thanks for all the help.

Good work! Getting a bad board is rare and can be a real head fake when it happens.