Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
BenR

LG WM1814CW stops shortly after cycle start

34 posts in this topic

Full load of was tried again. Washer shuts down almost immediately. Still

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Attempting to channel Brother john63... standby....

This appears to be an older (2005 or older) LG washer that uses a sensor mounted at the rear/back of the washer.

Remove the rear access panel.

On the right side---you'll notice a spring-loaded arm that is mounted on the washer "shell".

This is the ball sensor and bracket assembly: Part number: AP4438319

Part number: AP4438319

Examine the back of the washer (sheetmetal)---if it's *bent* inward---this will cause numerous false imbalance errors. It may be necessary to pull out the sheetmetal (to it's normal position).

If the washer was either tipped back or placed on it's back---to replace the drain motor then the ball sensor is likely out-of-position or damaged.

If the ball sensor and associated structures look intact, then replace the main PCB:  Part number: AP4441001

Part number: AP4441001

How'd I do?

Thank you Samurai. I think you may be onto something.

No bent sheetmetal and it has not been laid on it back at all. I know where the part is though from giving the washer a thorough cleaning the other day after this all started.

Is there a way to bypass the ball sensor temporarily to verify it is a faulty sensor instead of the PCB?

I don't know a way to correctly bypass the ball sensor.  But the sensor is only $20.  If it were my machine, for the money I would just replace both parts and be done with it.  

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info! May your glass be full and the beer cold...

Back atcha, budrow!  Let us know how it goes.  

Parts ordered, will get back to you in a few days.

I ordered the Ball Sensor and the main PCB. Just replacing the Ball Sensor was not the answer. I tried running a load and in two minutes or so the washer stopped just like before. Installed the new PCB and the washer is running fine now. Might not have needed the Ball Sensor at this point but wasn't worth pulling the machine back out again to remove it. Life is good, clothes are clean. Thanks to ALL!

Great job!   :dude: