Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Stringmaster5512

SZ 532 fridge cooling problem

8 posts in this topic

I have a early '88 SZ 532 with a cooling problem. All of the mechanical are working, freezer is ok, t-stat is ok, evap fans are ok. Getting a lot of condensation

but that is due to a blown door seal. There was fist sized ball of ice  at the top tube of the evaporator, so I'm thinking my freon is low, low.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sorry, the keystrokes...am I correct that the refrigerant is low ? I cleaned the tubes and restarted the system to see if there is any change.

Anything I need to do at this time, except wait?

Domo Arigato

YOU NEED NEW EVAPORATOR!

Sub Zero has upgraded the replacement refrigerator compartment evaporators because of the system leak issues.  Make sure when researching part to have serial number for correct part number.

Depending on the serial number your evap P/N is  4204420 .........................prior to S/N 681566 you will need to remove and discard the accumulator................. About 150 clam$....Plus shipping......................Plus a new filter dryer..................The  last Sub-O evaporator I  installed , the evap coil was made of copper not aluminum................Plus what PDuff said................

Thank you, info and part numbers. The current evap is aluminum, everything else is copper. Also, looks like a replacement compressor for the fridge side. 

I don't have the gear to do the R & R, but I am having a  S-0 tech out tomorrow. I just want to have my ducks, clams and knowledge base all in a row.

Lesguns: I would have gotten there, but you don't need to shout.

Thanks again! I will feed the beer fund...

Why new compressor????...............Even with a slow leak in the evaporator coils, the compressor should still be good...........For me , cuz I yam the Chief cook and bottle washer...I would evac. the system, add full charge and let the low side P.S.I.....( 30 psi on the P/T chart..)    and the current draw ( ballpark 1.7 amps )   tell the tale......................

Sorry, sorry, I just meant that the compressor (fridge) had been replaced at an earlier time. Before I got it. I have 

the evaporator, et al, ordered and a local tech to recharge the system. I will catalog all the info so graciously given

and thank you all for your input!