Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim144

Whirlpool ED2PHEXNQ00 water dispenser on all the time

10 posts in this topic

Switch is not stuck - at least I can still hear it click.  It was switching - when I pushed the lever I smelled a faint electrical burning smell and some noise.  Replaced the valve but it still turns on as soon as the unit is plugged in (even with dispenser locked).  I unhooked the wires to the valves as a temporary measure.  Do they put wiring diagrams in these units like on many appliances? Where? 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check behind the lower grille. They can be down under the refrigerator

Microswitch is good.  For some reason there is 115VAC on the valve side of the switch all the time.  I have disconnected the water valves.  I disconnected the connector at the door hinge and got the same result.  Unplugged the power cord and got 18 ohms between the hot side of the plug and the wire to the water valve.  I disconnected the connector with the temp controls and defrost control in the top of the refer compartment and got much higher resistance but not open - about 4k.  But with only the connectors to the defrost board disconnected (which should be the only other connection directly to the water valve wire) its about 29 ohms.  It seems unlikely but apparently there is a short somewhere in the wiring that runs through the insulation in the side of the freezer compartment. 

Any ideas how to check this without disconnecting everything from the chasis wiring ( the icemaker, hinge connector, refer controls area) and then checking for shorts between wires?  Wondering what else might be shorted...

If it is a short in the harness is there any practical way to get to it?

You said you disconnected the connector at the door hinge and disconnected the valves and got the same results. Not sure if I am understanding you correctly. What voltage are you getting at the water valve when the dispenser is disconnected at the hinge? And voltage when defrost/water filter indicator board disconnected?

lol Reg, I just saw that too. I was wondering why he indicated the line went to the defrost control until I looked at the wiring diagram and saw the filter indicator is part of the board.

At first I suspected a bad valve but the valve is working as expected - when it gets voltage (which is whenever the unit is plugged in unless I pull the valve connections) it opens.

With the dispenser disconnected at the hinge I get 115V at the water valve connector (with or without the valve connected).  I still get voltage at the valve connector when I disconnect the defrost/filter indicator board also. 

check the Plug / Connector in the Compressor area

looks like at least a 6 pin Connector

White

Tan

Violet <

Black <

Grn/Yel

Red

Jim, which connector at the defrost control did you disconnect?  Was it the P1 connector with the yellow, violet and tan wires?  Electrical smell would indicate a short, possibly in that control.  Any other symptoms with the ice dispenser, ice production, cooling etc?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0