Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
MaryW13

From one extreme to another

31 posts in this topic

I have a 2 year old Whirlpool Refrigerator Model# W8TXNGFWB01 that is acting like a true 2 year old. Two weeks ago I paid 160.00 to replace the evaporator fan because the fridge wasn't cold and the freezer wasn't freezing.  Now its freezing food in the fridge side and the evaporator fan won't stop running. The temperature knob is set a 1.  The repairman estimated another $150 to fix it but I just can't afford it.  Please help. 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

What did he say was wrong with it now?

He mentioned the thermistor but wasn't sure until he had a look at it. He seems pretty honest but I'm so worried about losing money  that I would like a second opinion and if its not too complicated to replace then I would like to give it a try.

I don't think the thermistor would be causing the challenge, I know coincidences happen a lot in this business but, you went from a fan motor not running at all to not turning off at all.

Especially since this model doesn't have a thermistor, just a traditional thermostat which is very easy to replace on your own.

I am so glad I asked you guys. I know he said thermister because he corrected me when I said thermostat in the conversation.  I had a gut feeling that maybe I wasn't getting a correct answer to the problem when I called him.  I truly appreciate your information.  I'll let you know how the self repair goes. Have a great day!

He replaced the fan motor and it worked after he was done... Yes? I would have made the assumption that was the problem... Turns out the thermostat was also bad... (Assuming this fixes your problem now).

It's not common for multiply problems to be present, but it still does happen. Sometimes we mistake a symptom for the root cause of the problem. Doesn't make this repair person the worst one ever.

Well I replaced the thermostat last week and it was so easy but, unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem.  The evaporator fan still runs constantly and my food still freezes.  The temperature set at 1 1/2 and the thermometer I put in the fridge reads 20 degrees.  Please give me some more suggestions.  I'm spending a fortune in food and I'm sure my electric bill is going to be high.  Thank you.

Is the fan wired incorrectly? I don't know how, but is it wired to where the evaporator fan is always hot? Can you turn your thermostat (cold control) down very low and here the condenser fan and compressor turn off, but the evaporator fan continues running?

I just had the same idea.  I pulled the cover off of the fan and the wire that has a loop on it (i'm assuming is a ground wire?) wasn't attached to anything.  Do I just remove a screw and put it in like I would a washer?  The tubes on the side of the are frozen but the things that look like a radiator are ok.  I apologize for my lack of terminology but I try to create a visual without saying doo- hicker or thingy. Only when I turn the thermostat to off does the fan stop.  I think I only hear the evaporator fan running I believe the compressor does cycle on and off. 

... The tubes on the side of the are frozen but the things that look like a radiator are ok.

... Only when I turn the thermostat to off does the fan stop. I think I only hear the evaporator fan running I believe the compressor does cycle on and off. 

1) post pictures somewhere, then post the links here

2) Evaporator Fan, Condenser Fan, and Compressor are wired together, when one stops, they all stop

i put the grounding wire on. Could that be enough to make it not work properly?

No.

Did you see a complete frost pattern on the evaporator in the freezer .Meaning frost from top of evaporator to bottom?

You posted picture ok.I see no frost on evaporator.Did you see frost from top to bottom when you took panel off?

no just on the coils off to the side where the defrost thermostat attaches to the coil.  There was ice on the top inside of the freezer but really any frost anywhere else.

So you saw no frost on the evaporator from the top to bottom of the coil.A slight frost no ice is what i am getting too.

no frost on the evaporator but the coil to the left was frozen (I'm assuming that's normal?) and icicles in the to of the freezer compartment.

Also, the answer to

Is the fan wired incorrectly? I don't know how, but is it wired to where the evaporator fan is always hot? Can you turn your thermostat (cold control) down very low and here the condenser fan and compressor turn off, but the evaporator fan continues running?

everything is running even at the lowest setting until i turn it to the off position.

How long was the refrigerator off do you think until you got that freezer panel OFF.

You should not see icicles .Are the door gaskets closing ok?

not long at all.  i unplugged it and took off the panel pretty quickly.  

i believe they seal but i did notice that I don't need to pull with very much effort to open both the freezer and the fridge.  I did wipe them down yesterday in case they was something in the gaskets. They were clean.

You should see frost from top to bottom.Maybe put back together and give it a day and then take apart again to look at frost pattern.

everything is running even at the lowest setting until i turn it to the off position.

The evaporator fan should cycle off when the compressor and condenser fan motor cycle off. If not the evaporator fan will continue to circulate air into the fresh food section, the freezer section would therefore warm up, but the thermostat would not cycle the cooling back on because the thermostat is satisfied until the freezer runs out of cold air. It's plug n play SOS I don't know how it could be wired wrong, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Also what was the part number of the fan motor used in the first repair?