Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
pearlcorvette

Kenmore Elite Refridgerator

12 posts in this topic

I have a Kenmore Elite Refigerator that is not cooling properly. The problem is the evaporator fan will not come on. I replaced the PCB board and still doesn't come on except in test mode. What else could it be? The model number is 795.77562600.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

We need a bit more info.... compressor running? How is the evap frost pattern? Did you test/replace temp sensors?

The compressor is running. I did not replace any sensors. Only main board. I just plugged it in to check frost pattern and after about 10 minutes the top half is frosty white. When plugged it in this time the main fan came on but not the fan that goes to ice maker. It wasn't working before except in test mode. Both fans would come on in test mode.

. When plugged it in this time the main fan came on but not the fan that goes to ice maker. It wasn't working before except in test mode. Both fans would come on in test mode.

The icemaker fan motor may not work till the freezer gets cold.

The fan stayed on until the freezer got to 18 degrees and fridge around 60 degrees and then it shut off and temperature in both compartments started rising.

I just plugged it in to check frost pattern and after about 10 minutes the top half is frosty white

Was only the top half  of the evap coils frosted over after 20 mins or more of running?

Yes. It was covered with a thin layer of frost on the upper half. Lower half was just cold. This is with the door open.

All door switches check ok?

The compressor is running... I just plugged it in to check frost pattern and after about 10 minutes the top half is frosty white.

The fan stayed on until the freezer got to 18 degrees and fridge around 60 degrees and then it shut off and temperature in both compartments started rising.

Sounds like a sealed system problem to me, either a gas leak or a weak compressor.

The fridge is in my garage and it ran last night and was at operating temperature this morning. I guess maybe because it was cooler. I'm not sure why the evaporator fan works off and on. I guess it's just not worth fixing. Thank you for you help. Door switches seem to be fine.

I am still curious as to when the spike in temp occurred, whether the compressor was still running at that time. This wasn't made clear, or at least not to my limited ability to understand. For if the compressor stopped, then something other than a sealed system failure could be the problem.

After I replaced the main board I plugged it in and the evaporator fan was working. It ran until it got pretty cold and the fan stopped blowing but the compressor still ran. This is when the temperature started to climb. It was very warm that day and the fridge is in my garage. The fan never came back on. I unplugged it and plugged back in the next day and it did the same thing. I plugged in the next day and it has been working now for about a day and a half. The weather is cooler. I wonder of on hot days it can't get cold and shuts down. Not sure if that's a possibility. I'm just letting it run now and observe the temperature. The warmest setting on freezer is 8 degrees and it has been running from 8 to 14 degrees the last day and a half.