Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
bimbbobway

How do you find freon leaks?

5 posts in this topic

I have tried many different methods over the last 15 years. As my business gets bigger and new people come on board the one thing that plagues us is freon leaks. I'm looking for feedback from every one to see how do you find the leak in a sealed system?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Best way I have used is the whirlpool filter driers with the UV dye pellet...braze one in place, be sure to run some freon thru it when recharging to rupture the pellet.

come back a few days later with a blacklight and yellow glasses and start searching. Supposedly will reveal leaks as small as 1/2 oz per year.

I've used a lot of different methods, I haven't used the one listed above, it sounds like the best bet and most accurate.  I wish they had that when they had a factory service.

I check the amps on the compressor to find if its a high or low side leak.Then nitrogen an cal blue plus.If still no luck dunk the evaporator in water.