Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
vunger1

maytag stem seal (replaced , but still leaking) mo. # lat9416aae

4 posts in this topic

Tub was leaking so i replaced stem seal , part # 6-2095720......should i have replaced more than what this kit covers?Did i possibly overtighten the mounting stem? Maytags are an area i am a little weak on. Also at one point the shaft pulled out of the transmission???

On another note : The business location that i occupy was a maytag home center for about 15 yrs. The previous owner tells me that these models are worth repairing, even when the transmission fails he says there is a way to rebuild the top end of the tranny , in a time efficient manner. I threw away so many of these models in my first couple of years. I need a little enlightenment.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Here's my procedure for doing these jobs:  http://fixitnow.com/wp/2007/05/18/how-to-replace-the-mounting-stemseal-and-tub-bearing-in-a-maytag-dependable-care-washer/

Read through and compare with what you did to see if there's anything different.  

Note especially steps 44 and 45:

44. plug unit back in and turn to spin
45. let it spin for a couple of minutes

This gets the rubber seal hot and lets it meld a bit with the tub making a good seal. 

I agree with Sami, should wipe the face of the seal and the mating seal on the stem with a paper towel and spin dry for a couple minutes befor introducing water into the machine. Over tightening shouldn't be an issue.

replaced bearing kit also and all is well, as advised by those here at appliantology.org, better to replace stem seal kit and bearing kit. You dont save much by doing only the stem seal kit. Also if rubber seals on stem seal were bad,it would only make sense that the rubber seal on the tub bearing couldnt be far behind.

Thanks to all, for the help!

P.S.  The shaft pulled out because the plastic retainer ring had been removed, by: "yours truly"

Putta tha retaina backa where a it go and as a wise Samurai once said "Konnichiwa", back in bidness.

Edited by vunger1