Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
prarydreg

Kenmore 596.76502500 cools down then warms up

22 posts in this topic

Both fridge and freezer will cool down to the preset temperatures. After awhile both climb steadily. The freezer into the forties and the fridge into the fifties. I have replaced the high voltage control board, the capacitor/relay and the thermistor. The same cycle of events occurs. Is it time to go shopping for a new fridge or is there something I missed?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

We need to see a picture of your evap frost pattern. 2 pictures 40 to 60 minutes apart would be helpful.

When do the photos need to be taken?

When do the photos need to be taken?

preferably, when the fridge should be cooling... ie when the compressor is running and we want to avoid the defrost cycle.

I will probably need a lesson on how to post pictures. Plugged fridge in this am. heard familiar 6 second buzz which usually indicates the unit won't cool down. It did start to cool down though. Took the pictures around an hour apart. Temp is almost down to presets at this time. 

you could post the pictures to any photo sharing website,

then post the links here

:whistling:

doesn't look good,

may be a sealed system leak $$$

post another picture an hour later ..

Everything still running. Freezer at -1 and fridge is at 38. new picture taken minutes ago.

.... new picture taken minutes ago.

picture ? ?

https://kenmore59676...shutterfly.com/

Sorry about that. Number 3 was taken around 1o'clock and #4 was taken a few minutes ago. The fridge only stopped running for about 2 minutes then started back up again. It is still holding at the presets -1 and 38. 

Kinda by the look of picture number 2 the defrost heater is coming on with the compressor still running. Jazz board? Short somewhere?

when you say the fridge stops running, are you saying the compressor AND all the fans are not running?

That is correct. Everything stopped for about 2 minutes. It is still blowing cold air and maintaining the presets. It won't be long now. the thing has a habit of pulling a fast one on us. Just when we think it is fixed, bam! ice cream is turned to milkshakes. Real time update-temp is starting to climb as I type.

https://kenmore59676...shutterfly.com/

The last picture taken was when the freezer was up to 4 degrees. The evap coils are thawed out. It will continue to run this way until I get tired of it. Then it gets unplugged. I don't think it has ever started the cool down cycle once it starts thawing out. 

The compressor is not running. Both fans are running and every couple of minutes the relay starts to buzz. Inrush current is up past 8 amps then drops to 0. Is the compressor shot? Or is there something causing it to stall. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, you replaced the high voltage board... ie near the compressor. That would have been the board to consider if your compressor wasn't coming on but your interior fans were running. A temperature or a defrost controller is the likely suspect when all fans and compressor run then shut down and you have replaced the thermistors. In your fridge, you have a Whirlpool (Maytag) Utah board that is both a temperature and defrost controller.... part no. W10207861. More than likely, that's your huckleberry.

That is correct. I replaced the (utah) board, the thermistor and the capacitor/relay at the compressor. It seems as though the compressor is being asked to start but it does not. I put an amp clamp on it a few minutes ago and it is not drawing any current. But both fans were running.

just so we are on the same page, you said you replaced the high voltage board (which is near the compressor) but in fact, you replaced the Utah board which is inside the fridge.. correct?

The board I replaced is labeled Utah Main control software Rev 16 and it sits to the left of the compressor (about a foot away) on the sidewall in a plastic housing. I had to program it with the code 0809.  Programming the board was a trick in itself. The capacitor/relay I replaced plugs into the side of the compressor. I didn't change out any boards in the fridge.

the board you replaced uses the Utah software. However by Utah board I am referring to is the user interface controller (it also does the defrost function) . Maytag made two control boards, a Jazz board (two piece board joined by a ribbon and a Utah board (single longer piece) . Both have been problematic. You have the Utah version. It goes inside the ff section. part no W10207861. Get it from repairclinic and if it doesn't fix your problem, send it back. Then you have changed everything and probably have an overheating compressor or more than likely, a sealed system failure

Got It.  Thank You Everyone I appreciate the help.