Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
DR109

GE Washer WHRE5550K1WW not spinning or agitating

12 posts in this topic

Hey gang,,,need a little help.  Out washing machine stopped spinning out and the wife says its no agitating either.  I hear a hum when its supposed to be spinning but I don't know if thats just the pump for the drain or what.  My wife says she can hear the the motor agitating but I haven't been around.

So to me it sounds like a belt.  I haven't taken it apart yet as I have to find those instructions somewhere here still.  Feel free to point me :)  Sound like I'm on the right track or should I try something easier 1st....assuming the belt is a pain to replace..'

Thanks in advance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

scratch the belt thought.  I took off the fron and the belt is fine.  Drum spins freely.  May lid switch I will check next.

If it's not the lid switch you'll need to test the motor.

Here's a little nugget I found that RegUs had posted on the same issue previously.

gallery_4_5_76764.png

That is not the correct test for this washer. Here is the correct one. There are at least 5 different motor/inverters for the Hydrowave models that use different communications voltages.

Eric

GEHydrowaveMotorTest.jpg

Edited by fairbank56

Lid Switch is good.  I'm getting ready to run these tests listed here but noticed a flashing LED.  1st of all All the flashing LED stuff is not obvious where to look.  I noticed this on top of the motor on the board above and behind C4.  FOr some reason I thought the LED flashing was behind the control panel.

ANyhow..it flashes 6 times, stops, flashes 6 times, stops, 6, etc.  According to the folded service paper from behind the control panel 6 flashes says locked rotor.  The drum spins freely, belt, pulley etc all move very freely.  What do you think?

unplug the washer, wait 20 seconds, plug washer, after plugging the washer in open and close the lid 6 times within 15 seconds, you don't have to go the whole way just like 2 inches, this will reset the motor, the led should be 1 sec on 1 sec off, if the code comes back right away you need a new motor inverter.

Edited by sh2sh2

unplug the washer, wait 20 seconds, plug washer, after plugging the washer in open and close the lid 6 times within 15 seconds, you don't have to go the whole way just like 2 inches, this will reset the motor, the led should be 1 sec on 1 sec off, if the code comes back right away you need a new motor inverter.

DId as you said and it reset with the 1 sec on 1 sec off.  I went ahead and tried to run it in spin and it eventually came back to 6 on, pause, 6 on, etc.  Did the reset again and it 1 sec, 1 sec off.  Stumped.  Guess I'll go check those voltages from above.

time for a new motor inverter

motor inventer....as in its all 1 assembly, as in drive motor right?  as in $239 right?

yes,

sorry

Found my post where you guys helped me trouble shoot my last washing machine July 7 2009....  Same thing motor died.  It was 8-9 years old and with the motor, the belt,etc I decided to replace it with this one.  Now I get only 4 years out of it.....crazy.  See the issue is I work in another division of this manufacturer so we get employee discounts....and they entice to buy plus its all the 'good for the company, shareholders, etc, rah rah rah but I've had it with our appliances.  Going to look at a different brand this time.  Just doesn;t make sense to spend that much on a motor at half of what I paid for the machine.

As always...you guys rock and appreciate the help!

as a final update to this thread.....I bought a Maytag Bravos XL on Saturday and my wife loves it!  I sneek in the laundry room whens it dark and marvel at the lights all lit up like an airiliner dahboard....lol.  Oh.....10 years on the motor is what sold me.  I;m sure other things will break but 10 years on what went on my last 2 in 4 years kinda had me at hello.