Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
appliancedud

Scotsman Ice Maker

7 posts in this topic

This under-the-counter ice maker refuses to make ice although it goes through the cycle. I noticed that the freezing wells no longer get cold even though the compressor is still running.

Service rep said it can't be repaired because it uses the old coolent.

There has to be a solution short of pitching the entire unit and buying a new one

Any ideas?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hello, my pitching friend. Naturally, the correct solution to your ice machine woes lies in the accurate identification of the root problem. For example, at this very moment, as I lie here on my camel skins and read your message on my iMac powered by my own proprietary camel dung and lime juice battery, I wonder aloud to myself and my four wives, "Does the problem with this ice machine originate in the sealed system or in the controls?" Can you answer this question, my iceless friend?

I would imagine he stated this because it would cost more to repair your unit than it would cost to replace it if it uses R-12.  Not cost effective.  Would be better to replace the ice maker  with a new one that would have a  warrany on the whole appliance., if it is a compressor or sealed system problem. Pegi

In his own odd way, Moostafa makes a good point:  is this problem in the sealed system or is it a controls problem?  This the first question I would attempt to answer if I were on the service call.

Sorry I was not clear.

The controls appear to work perfectly. Voltage is applied at the correct times in the cycle.

It is a sealed system with no visable place to recharge.

The compressor screams

Don Smith

Your screaming compressor tells it all, now back to my original post.  Pegi

Sounds like your rep (and Pegi) have a good handle on this one.