Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Prentice Leonard

Maytag LA612

16 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know it's old.  But they're not making machines like this one anymore and it matches my dryer so I am EXTREMELY resistant to replacing it.

Anyway, it just developed a problem: When the spin cycle starts, it spins for a few seconds and stops.

Things I have already done:

1.)  Replaced both belts and thoroughly cleaned all pulleys. (Belts were at LEAST 10 years old)

2.)  Replaced timer with used timer from last time I worked on it.  (New timer did not fix last issue)

3.)  Checked tub and all hoses for obstructions.

4.)  Replaced motor carriage springs and rollers.

The transmission turns freely by hand in both directions, and there is no water or oil leakage beneath it.  The pump also turns freely by hand. There appears to be some damage to the top vanes on the pump impeller, but I fail to see how this could cause this problem.

I am at a loss and would very much appreciate any input you might have.

Thank you!

Also, I forgot to mention...It agitates correctly and pumps out properly with the transmission drive belt removed.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... When the spin cycle starts, it spins for a few seconds and stops.

does the Agitate Cycle Wash OK ?

does the Motor make any noises after it stops, etc ?

is the Motor hot ?

what do you do to re-start it ?

Fills properly, agitates properly, motor not hot, no motor noises after stop.  Only noises after it stops is the clicking of the timer as it continues through it's cycle.

To restart, I timer all the way around to spin cycle and try again with same results.  Before I put the old timer in, the problem was the same except the timer would not stop at the end of cycle, it would just continue into the permanent press cycle.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I work out of town and really need this working.

Is the tub making contact with the balance switch?

so ... both Timers only enable the Spin cycle for a few seconds ?

Yes, BOTH timers only enable spin for a few seconds.  And I can see nothing on this machine or the wiring diagram that appears to be a balance switch.

replacement Timer is new ?

No, timer is NOT new.

Yes, BOTH timers only enable spin for a few seconds.  And I can see nothing on this machine or the wiring diagram that appears to be a balance switch.

Number 2-15236 is part of the lid switch.

If it comes in contact with the tub the machine stops.

post-65249-0-53582900-1376836261_thumb.g

Sorry, but for some reason I cannot see that gif. I'll try the spin cycle with the top removed when I get back from the laundromat. Sure hope that works but I have my doubts since it does exactly the same thing with nothing in the drum to unbalance the load. Thanks for the reply.

Lid switch, but you usually have to open lid to reset that, I think.

grasshoppers can't see attachments

Spun up fine with top removed, clever bit of design making the lid switch dual purpose as an unbalanced load switch.  Thanks for pointing that out!  Anyway, there DID appear to be an abnormal amount of unbalance to the empty drum so I removed the agitator in order to loosen the drum mounting stem nut and recenter it all.  Wouldn't you know it?  I broke the nut!

Anyway, this seems to be the source of the problem.  I'm going now to order a new nut via the link at the top of this page.  Thanks for all the input, I'll be very pleased to get this old washer working again!

Check the damper pads under trans. They can make the wobbles. # 2-3956

The nut is a left hand thread and was probably not the problem.

Order damper pads too.

Yes, I know the nut is left hand thread, it broke trying to remove it.  I don't know of any way to center the basket to the drum without loosening it.