Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
allowingtoo

PSS26SGPA Diagnostic Mode?

119 posts in this topic

U have a defrost issue. Check ur defrost heater, thermo, if those are ok it is the board. Most likely it is ur heater. U need to get the back wall of the freezer off. If u defrost the unit it will work fine for 2 to 3 weeks until it freezes up again.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thank U

Whoa!  Woke up this morning and it was running in defrost mode all by itself.  Unplugged it for 30 minutes and that didn't help.  DH had to remind me to run the diagnostic thing again (thank goodness you made me do that!!) and sure enough - defrost + defrost made it turn off.  That heater looks scary running like that. 

Ok, I'm beat.  I don't know how you guys do it with shoulders any wider than mine.  Only one problem.  I hooked everything back up and I have no lights in the power panel.  And I don't hear the fan running on the fridge side - just the freezer.  It's already frosting up.

The defrost thermostat kind of separated when I unhooked from the clamp on the wall, so I don't know if that is normal of if that was the problem piece.  It opened up like a clam. 

I was only able to replace one Thermistor - the one to the Defrost Thermostat.  I sent DH to the hardware store to buy some butt splice and he only bought 10 so I didn't have enough to do the rest of the Thermistors.  I figured I'd just do those tomorrow.  

So what do I do now?  Pull it back out and try putting the old mother board back in?

Edited by LBL

The new Motherboard was bad.  I have lights and power. 

Thanks everyone.  I'm not sure this was rated 2 wrenches but it wasn't too bad.  I still don't know how guys do it. 

After overnight (6 hour?)  cooling - it's the Motherboard that is bad (too).  The temperature on the control panel is still like it was.  But the Frost pattern looks great on the coils. 

Sigh.  Somehow I didn't put the ice maker back together right. 

if your defrost thermostat (the cylindrical part) separated, you will have to replace it. Also double check to make sure you have the connectors on the board seated properly. It's easy to improperly install a connector leaving a pin on the left or right exposed.

10 butt splices should be enough! But I would strongly recommend bell connectors and silicone. That is what GE suggests.

I followed this video since I didn't have a Thermistor attached to my Evaporator Fan Motor.  I'd much rather have paid a little more and had the Thermistor already attached.  It would have saved a lot of time and struggle.  But that's just me and I'm not a GE repair person.  I can see splicing in the other Thermistors but this was a PITA. 

If your original fan motor has a thermistor connected, then certainly get the version the matches it. Much easier. But if you are nit replacing the fan motor, then splice in a new thermistor

Well we are right back where we started.  Replaced all those parts and nothing has changed.  Running the diagnostic mode again and I still have that

Temperature control panel to main control board communication > PASS

Temperature control panel to dispenser board communication > FAIL

Dispenser board to main control board communication > PASS

Temps are still just like they were when I started.  Now what? 

Lets recap with what has been done up to this point, please?

Lets recap with what has been done up to this point, please?

Good idea. Also the status of your evap, fan motors, compressor and temps. All these part changes and name changes can leave a man confused

Although rare, it's possible you have a problem with your interface/Temperature-Control-Board. Try reseating the connections. That communication failure to the dispenser could indicate other communication failures (possibly intermittent) as well.

Whoa!  Woke up this morning and it was running in defrost mode all by itself.  Unplugged it for 30 minutes and that didn't help.  DH had to remind me to run the diagnostic thing again (thank goodness you made me do that!!) and sure enough - defrost + defrost made it turn off.  That heater looks scary running like that.

You mean to tell me I went through that long explanation and then you forgot? What am I, limp pasta? lol

I've replaced:
Defrost-Thermostat
Defrost-Heater-Assembly
Thermistors (in the Freezer)
Evaporator-Fan-Motor
Main-Control-Board

DH says since I've replaced the Main Board he can hear the fridge running constantly.  He is afraid that it is going to burn the house down and he is not getting any sleep for the past 2 nights.  The temp is fluctuating between 15 and 28 depending on the frost cycle. 

I did find one post from the old board with the same problem? and his was a Thermistor in the freezer.

http://applianceguru.com/forum1/18286-1.html

Have you verified the temps provided by the temp contoller/interface using a separate thermometer?

Thermometer said 34 degrees and control panel said 15 degrees in freezer. 

Might also check the wire harness at the bottom freezer door hinge for corrosion or damage.  I've seen damaged wiring cause similar bad control symptoms.

Might also check the wire harness at the bottom freezer door hinge for corrosion or damage.  I've seen damaged wiring cause similar bad control symptoms.

I don't see anything there.  I DID discover a lot of dust built up on the front of the condenser (whoops) which I promptly cleaned off.  I'm getting a lot of exercise in today pulling the fridge in and out doing the plug and pray :)

Why isn't there a video on testing the Thermistors by the control panel?  I can only find one on YouTube and it's not very clear - he's got the freaking thing hanging on the wall. Oh, I see, he has a link to a page where he explains it step by step - that's better.

Samurai usually walks you through how to use the Multimeter (which I have no clue how to do)  I think I kind of understand the basics by watching the video he has on replacing the heater. 

hmmmmm - I went into pre chill and it reset to 0 and it is still on 0

could the dusty condenser have caused that?  {{crossing fingers}}

Edited by LBL

Oh well. Replaced the fridge thermistors too and it went into defrost mode. Temp went up and up on both sides. DH wants to go buy new fridge.

Just got back from Vet and was able to run the tests again....

Temperature control panel to main control board communication > PASS

Temperature control panel to dispenser board communication > FAIL

Dispenser board to main control board communication > PASS

Control and Sensor System Self-Test all five thermistors > PASS

"I Have a Dream"  that one day soon this will all seem like a dream. 

bad condenser fan motor or dirty condenser can cause everything ut tbe dispenser communication error.