Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wgoldfarb

Jenn Air Gas Cooktop - no sparks

4 posts in this topic

I have a Jenn Air Gas cooktop (Model # CCG2420W). When I turn on the gas the cooktop makes no sparks at all, so the burners won't light (I can light the burners with a match, so the gas is working correctly). It does not matter which burner I try, none work.

Since none of the spark plugs work, I am guessing the problem is not with the switches and I may  need to replace the spark module. However, I have never worked on a cooktop before, so I have a couple of questions. First, how do I diagnose the problem to make sure that it is indeed the spark module that I need to replace? I probably need to first rule out a loose wire somewhere, which brings me to my second question.

How do I get to the module? I am guessing that I can service the unit from the top (is this correct?), but I am not sure how to remove the top to gain access to the spark module.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

William

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hello, my sparkless friend. Did you know that our dear host, the blessed Samurai Appliance Repair Man, has a beautiful and inspiring epistle on this very topic? Yes, it is true. Would you like to read it? Alright, it is here.

However, may I offer my opinion that, based upon your problem description, it sounds like the problem is failed spark module? No? As you wish, I shall not offer it, then.

It does sound like a bad spark module; the article Moostafa linked you to gives details on how to test it to be sure.  First, make sure the outlet the cooktop is plugged into has power! 

To access the module, you'll ned to remove the entire cooktop surface, it's item 4 in this picture.  removing the top surface isn't really that bad.  This diagram will help you.

Thank you for the help to both!

I do have one more question: by looking at the cooktop it seems af if the burner pans (and thus the glass cover itself) are being held in place by the four parts labelled as number 15 in the diagram you sent me (I am guessing they are called Venturis?). However, these also seem to be connected to the gas line, as gas comes up through the center of this part when the burner is lit. I am afraid of unscrewing it for fear of causing damage to a gas line.

Can I just go ahead and unscrew it to be able to lift the cooktop? Do I even need to unscrew it to lift the cooktop?

Thanks again,

William