Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
okivtwin

dryer operating temperatures enternal and exhaust

14 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find the operating temperatures of a whirlpool dryer both enternal and at the exhaust   model number W10354475

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Dryer Vent temperatures at the rear of a Dryer usually cycle between 135F and 160F

Any Idea what the range would be in the drum while the machine is running with no clothes inside?  I have an inspector saying it should be in the 150 to 180 range inside, if the exhaust is 135 to 160 it would have to be haotter than that in the drum.  He got a reading of 320 to 380 and says thats to hot.  We took some reading in another machine  and they were were in the 400 to 420 range

... 320 to 380 and says thats to hot. 

... they were were in the 400 to 420 range

those are both way too hot

OK great we'll have to take a better look art whats going on

Thanks for the Info

I have seen dryers get to 240 degrees inside when the cycling thermostat is bad but over 350? That seems almost impossible.

We took some reading in another machine  and they were were in the 400 to 420 range

I don't believe it.  What kind of instrument were you using to measure the temperature?

It could get that hot if it is cycling on the high limit thermostat and maybe has an air flow problem.  Something is definitely not right!

Verify that model number...............If I am working on a washer , I will check the dryer..( possibly added value repair )......High temp./cottons....Digital meter with a 'K' probe.............temp lead about 12 to 16 inches in.............180 to 190 is about right...................If I get over 200 degs, I start to look for restricted venting, not opening vent hoods............Never seen one over 230 degs................

We were using a Laser themometer to check the temp inside the drum

We were using a Laser themometer to check the temp inside the drum

This measures the temperature of the metal, not the air temperature.  Wrong instrument for this application.  The surface temperatures will all be much higher than air temperatures due to conduction from the heat source.  

But surface temperatures don't mean anything because the thermostats and limits all feel air temperature.  

You need to be using a thermocouple type temperature instrument that measures air temperature.  Even a simple probe type thermometer would be more accurate for this purpose, like this one:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermometer/60290/2220521

Most modern domestic dryers have several thermostats and protective devices in place to ensure proper operation, and to disable the unit if necessary.  Operating or cycling thermostats are usually located on the blower housing and will cycle temperature between 125 and 155 degrees depending on cycle selected.  Exhaust temperatures may show to be higher due to the differential.  High limit thermostats will cycle off between 205 and 290 degrees depending on make and model should the operating thermostat fail.  Non-resettable thermal cutouts will open the heater circuit or shut the unit down, usually due to an exhaust restriction, if temperatures exceed 300 to 352 degrees. 

That sounds reasonable, that the metal will be much hotter than the air, I'll have to look into getting a different thermometor

Thanks

make sure none of the Thermostats have been bypassed