Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Help with gas wood stove

stubborn1

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this, so bear with me.

I have a quadra fire freestanding gas stove. Its having an issue where it wont fully relight after its been running. The burner half relights or sometimes doesnt relight at all. Ive removed all the decorative rocks and items to see if any holes were plugged, but all seems well. There arent that many parts on these things - is my best bet to replace the gas valve? Is there a solenoid that can be serviced or is it a one piece deal?

Thanks for the help. This thing heats a room we added on to the house and with a -15 morning today, I now have proper motivation to fix it.

First off, I'm unfamiliar with this product.  With that in mind, I see appliances every now and then that I'm also not as familiar with too.... So bear with me.

Does this unit have a standing pilot light?  Is it thermostatically controlled?  Is this being ran on propane or natural gas?

Do you have some sort of model number?  Pictures speak a thousand words!  

Edited by micabay

First,I would remove the burner and thoroughly clean it out.

If the problem persist,I would lightly tap the gas valve on a re-light attempt to see if more gas ios introduced.

If more gas is supplied,I would replace the gas valve.

Is there a drip leg on the incoming gas supply?

• Like 1

I torn down the fire box and burner assembly last night. Everything was cleaned and reassembled. Still the same issue - lights fine when cold. Only the back half of the burner lifhts when warm.

One thing I learned is that when only 1/2 of the burner is lit, I can move the lever that adjusts how much air is allowed into the burner and it fully lights when making any adjustment. Strange.

To answer the previous questions, there is a drip leg on incoming service. Tapping on the gas valve made no difference.

• Team Samurai

Sounds like the gas valve is borked.  The bimetal in the valve can get corroded over time from water vapor and impurities in the gas and it stops snapping fully open reliably.  Also happens with gas ovens, same mechanics.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it may be over aired. The unit draws air in when the hot exhaust is rising, this pulls air in through the shutters at the Venturi and mixes with the gas that is being pushed through the orafices. The Propper way to diagnose will be to use a manometer to test gas pressure at the manifold, and when hot adjust shutters so the flame is on the burners all the way, not lifting off the tubes. If the gas pressure is in spec a shutter adjustment will solve it. If you know someone with a combustion analyzer they can help you dial it in.

If you google flame lift off I'm sure you'll find videos depicting what I'm talking about.