Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
acfixerdude

GE Main Board DOA % poll

24 posts in this topic

Had to temporarily close up shop today to bring my tech a replacement Main Board since the new one he just installed was DOA... popped the replacement in and viola, the fridge was resuscitated. 

I'd like to hear how often ya'll get one of these mothaboards DOA?

- Michael

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If you are referring to the most popular GE Motherboard, wr55x10942...I have replaced hundreds...and have had exactly 2 fail to operate.

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus

If you are referring to the most popular GE Motherboard, wr55x10952...I have replaced hundreds...and have had exactly 2 fail to operate.

Referring to the WR55X10942.

I don't remember ever having one of these be DOA... wonder how likely it is that the board got a static shock and how likely it would be for a static shock to kill the board?

I would say very possible and likely...also, they are churning these things out as fast as they can so mistakes and bad components are bound to happen...

that is the right #..typo on my part.

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus

I've replaced many of these boards, I can't remember one ever being defective out of the box.

Never had one doa. It's always a good idea to wear an anti-static wrist strap when handling boards, especially in cold weather.

I would also double check the first new board before removing it... disconnect the j2 connector to see if it fires up. If it does, then I would look closely at my fan motors.

Edited by DurhamAppliance

I don't know how many I've replaced but it has to be close to 150 and I can't remember even one being DOA. There is one I remember that after replacing the board it never defrosted so two weeks later I put another in but thats the only problem I can remember.

Replaced heap big tacsan many moons of these.  DOA?  Nyet, tovarish.  

No DOA's for me.

looks like it's me and you, ac...but the proof is in the pudding.

I hate when they put proof in pudding. Great way to crack a molar.

Because it's so rare, I'd investigate a bit more before simply swapping a new one.

Ba dump ching! (Thanks Mr rimshot)

He already did Da, and it fired right up..

oh, i thought he just swapped without checking first to see if there is a board killer lurking inside the fridge.

I've done about 20 or 30. No DOAs that I've noticed but I don't track repair history or parts used. A couple months ago I came across the letter (http://appliantology.org/files/go/391892ba2514d75c814a881eab5af629/ge-refrigerator-mother-board-recall-letter-and-installation-instruction-sheet) that described the recall and pointed it out to my GE rep and she sent me half a dozen new boards. She should, we buy up to 100 GE appliances a month...

In the early days I had a couple of newly replaced motherboards taken out by Durham's "lurking board killers" (Chuckle....I gotta remember that term and use it in an invoice), but I don't recall any DOA's. 

Then again, I have to look down at my workshirt to remember my name.

I guess that's the point...he did install another board, and it worked, but wasn't killed by any of the "gremlins" lurking in the machine...not the preferred test method but...

The original board we replaced just had a defrost issue... I don't suppose a thermistor would cause a defrost issue would it? I would have checked them if I was the original tech out there, or had more time to spend when dropping the board off for my other tech, but I wasn't so... 

I need to make sure he understands how to check them. School of hard-knocks for him so far, he's only been doing this for less than a year. Anybody have discount code (for more than $50 off) for the next ASTI in San Diego? 

Also, anybody heard of any upcoming regional trainings in the North West? Where is the best place to check?

The original board we replaced just had a defrost issue... I don't suppose a thermistor would cause a defrost issue would it? 

Ya sure, ya betcha!  Defrost is controlled by the evaporator thermistor and those things are a common troublemakers.  

a bad fan motor can cause all sorts of issues with a board. It could fry one board immediately while taking days to fry another. It can also cause a defrost failure. It's just that since a doa board is so rare, having one will cause my spidey senses to tingle and I'd have to look around a bit more than I normally would.

The original board we replaced just had a defrost issue... I don't suppose a thermistor would cause a defrost issue would it?

It absolutely will  cause a defrost issue. If I have one not defrosting due to a bad board and there is not any  obvious damage to the board  I'll replace the evaporator thermistor too if its the common-to-fail early stlye  just to cover everything. Of course if I know the thermistor is the problem  I'll only replace that but if  its the board I'll eat a few dollars on a thermistor  so I don't get a call back in the near future with a  customer saying its the exact same problem  and I sold them an expensive board they didn't need if its not defrosting again.

How can one test a GE fan motor for gremlins? I know it runs so the 9v battery test won't help...

I was burned by a flakey evap fan motor one on a recent job. GE bottom mount with the perverter compressor. Found bad pervertrer board, replaced, all good... for exactly one week. Customer called the following Friday, box warming up again. This time found compressor humming along but the damn evap fan motor had stopped. It was getting voltage but was stuck. I flicked it and it started running. Told customer I'd have to replace the evap fan motor. Imagine her joy (and not a little suspicion) at another repair right on the heels of an expensive one she just had done. She said she'd think about it... until the next morning when the damn fan had stopped AGAIN. Went over, replaced fan, all good.

Moral of the Story: I don't screw around with those damn fans anymore. If that box is a few years old and I'm doing either an expensive repair (perverter board) or I'm already in the freezer for a something else, I'll make a preemptive strike on that evap motor and change it out before it can pee in my Cheerios and make me look like a dunce or a sleaze.

pee in your cheerios? eewwww. I just have one question...

You did say you refuse to let it happen again, which suggests your cheerios had the yellow "milk" treatment some time in the past... soooooo... did you still eat them?

Edited by DurhamAppliance