Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maintenance for Water Softener?

Chris Shearer Cooper

Chris Shearer Cooper

We installed a Kenmore Genius II water softener 10+ years ago, and with the exception of refilling it with salt every so often (actually I use the potassium chloride) I've completely neglected it.  And it hasn't really complained - as far as I know, it is quietly humming along doing its thing.  The water pressure in the house might be less than it was 10 years ago, it's kind of hard to know for sure.

This last time as I refilled it, I noticed a sticker inside the lid telling me how to clean the nozzle and venturi, and it got me wondering if that was something I was supposed to be doing every so often.  Which, in turn, got me wondering if there was other maintenance I was supposed to be doing every so often.

And should I run a hardness test on the water to see if it is in fact doing its job?

Thanks for all advice,

Chris

p.s. The input is city water (chlorinated etc.), if that makes a difference.

... Kenmore Genius II water softener.

model number

• 1 year later...

Testing the hardness before and after the softener, and keeping that in a record will let you monitor the hardness capacity of the unit over time.

The venturi maintenance is important so that the brine suction works properly.  Eventually the brine tank will accumulate the non salt content from the bagged salt.  If salt is 98%, then the 2% lays in the tank.  It is also a good idea to use a resin cleaner once in awhile.  Do NOT use Vaseline on any of the rubber parts.  If necessary, use only a silicone lubricant.

• Like 1