Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Laz

GE GFC300V Garbage Disposal Leaking

6 posts in this topic

Hello there, I have a simple quick question about a garbage disposal unit. Near the bottom of the unit there is the pipe that connects to the drain, that's obvious. However, above that there is a hose connected with a hose clamp that is approximately two feet long and is capped at the other end. It goes nowhere and connects to nothing. Are disposals supposed to have a drain hose (other than the main) or a vent or something? This was here when I bought the house and it's now leaking where the hose is clamped onto the side of the disposal. I'm just wondering if that was the proper way to install this or if that hose should go somewhere and actually serve a function (which is seems like it should). Does anyone have an opinion? I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I don't know much about garbage disposals but it sounds like it is probably some sort of vent. Maybe another one of the wise ones on here can give a better answer, so both of us may learn something.

I was just thinking do you have a dishwasher? I think some dishwasher drain lines may get hooked into the disposal. I'm just thinking out loud here though.

AhA! You make a good point. There was a dishwasher here at one time but it was removed. Maybe that line came from the dishwasher. Thank you!

No problem. I'm trying to learn about these other appliances myself lol. I'm a refrigeration guy. I just started thumbing through this appliance book I have and I didn't see anything about a vent. I thought I read something before about dishwasher drains being hooked up to them, and sure enough I found it in here. Hopefully, that's all it was.

There used to be a DW hooked to it. Take a wine bottle cork and put a plug in that disposal.

Ah, ok, put a cork in it.