Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wmjlawrence

Bosch SHV4303 broke - Is it worth fix'n?

6 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice regarding an old Bosch SHV4303, the dishwasher does not fill with water and the motor is loud.  Is this the type of quality dishwasher which is worth fixing so I can maybe get another 15 years out of it?  I've obtained a copy of the troubleshooting manual and have diagrams, which helped with initial checks, all ohm checks are good and the water flow pipes are all clear.  Should I continue troubleshooting or call the firing squad? Thanks in advance for your comments!  MotoBier!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I cant speak for the quality of bosch because I haven't worked on one. I will say most people ive asked about them seem to be happy with them. Is the humming coming from the water valve. If you getting water to the valve and nothing coming out of the water valve with the valve humming away like its trying to fill. I would venture to say it's a bad water valve. It's a $36 part if that is whats needed. I would verify voltage to the valve just to be sure.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/00425458/1105846

Edited by BryanS

Thanks BryanS - I'm pulling the washer out this afternoon.  Will check power to the valve.  I've already done the ohm check, was good.  Then if power is good I'll pull apart the valve to just check out the insides...always cool to see how things work.  I'm thinking I'll end up replacing the valve.  Thanks for the response and assistance! MotoBier! 

No problem. I like disassembling old parts to see how they work. I mainly worked refrigerators but a water valve operates the same on most appliances. I imagine you could just pop your breaker and then unhook the water valve connector hookup you leads, then.restore power. Instead of pulling the whole thing out. I'm not sure how accessible it is from the front. My Maytag at home looks pretty well accessible that way. I only helped one guy on a bosch dishwasher, but he didn't really need me. I watch anyway as he changed a drain pump I think :)

I've had this dishwasher out a few times replaced door seal and did some cleaning behind it.  Simple to work on, just normal appliance, pay attention to how it comes apart then reassemble with hopes of not having too many left over part...fun times! 

What I know to be true about Bosch Dishwashers: The average age is about 10 years old when we work on them.  Compared to Frigidaire, Whirlpool, and the occasional Maytag, which are about 5-7 years old.  The Samsungs and LGs tend to be 5 or less years old.