Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

West Bend Poppery model 5459

micabay

Alrighty. So I am in need of the fan motor for this little popper. I can't find a good look up. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Making a coffe roaster out of it. This is like the direct drives of poppers. Better than anything on the market.

Here are a few pictures. http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t617/micabay/E8DB7F9F-D79C-4165-9E4F-4BBF6C6D25D3-2692-000006305CE5953A_zps2cd062dd.jpg

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t617/micabay/968A5426-9AA0-47AB-B74A-06499035AF3F-2692-000006306AE1C2DB_zps14000031.jpg

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t617/micabay/1A762B00-0A97-4974-9331-DC01AB05670D-2692-000006307B96DE15_zps8e2b28b4.jpg

Any thing helps. Thanks

MicaBay

• 2 weeks later...

72 views and nothing... bummer... I really like this design of popper.  They really don't build them like they use to...

Is the motor completely dead?  Did you check continuity on the windings and check the brushes to see that they are not worn out?

If you didn't already check the thermal fuse, (the part in the clear plastic tube in front on the motor picture), I'm pretty sure that would complete kill power to the motor.

Just out of curiosity, what's the hole in the front of the popper for, (the place just in front of the word "POPPERY" that should say "THE")?

Did you check E-bay?  There are tons of them for sale there: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/west-bend-poppery - they do seem a little expensive for used poppers but that seems to be because they are in depend as coffee roasters and also because of there close to 5lb weight they all seem to want around $15 to ship, some over $20 shipping.

I saw a discussion on a roaster forum where someone else was looking for just a motor for one of these and wasn't having any luck finding one, (they drilled a cooling hole thru the popper and ran the drill bit into the motor windings - that wasn't you by any chance was it, the hole in the front?).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Is the motor completely dead?  Did you check continuity on the windings and check the brushes to see that they are not worn out?

If you didn't already check the thermal fuse, (the part in the clear plastic tube in front on the motor picture), I'm pretty sure that would complete kill power to the motor.

Just out of curiosity, what's the hole in the front of the popper for, (the place just in front of the word "POPPERY" that should say "THE")?

Did you check E-bay?  There are tons of them for sale there: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/west-bend-poppery - they do seem a little expensive for used poppers but that seems to be because they are in depend as coffee roasters and also because of there close to 5lb weight they all seem to want around $15 to ship, some over $20 shipping.

I saw a discussion on a roaster forum where someone else was looking for just a motor for one of these and wasn't having any luck finding one, (they drilled a cooling hole thru the popper and ran the drill bit into the motor windings - that wasn't you by any chance was it, the hole in the front?).

That wasn't me posting, but i did almost the exact same thing... i cut through at least 10 wires on the windings... the roaster is exactly what I'm using it for too... these are built extremely well compared to even the next generation which was built in the late 80s.  Ceramic heater vs mica paper wrapped heater.  Cast aluminum vs paper thin aluminum body.  

I've been thinking about hooking a small vacuums motor via pvc pipe up to it somehow... but need to find one with limited airflow, and brushed motor.  Looked at hairdryers but most seem to be smaller DC motors.  I'm still kicking my self for destroying the windings.  ugh... kinda sad something is built to last, and parts can be easily replaced, but you can't find parts...

I have that exact same one you have, it has been under my kitchen counter for probably close to 24 years or more, (hasn't been used or turn on for probably close to 20 or more years - pulled it out when I saw your post and turned it on - it still runs and heats).

I don't really use it but for some reason don't really want to give it up, (especially know that I see how much they are going for on E-bay).

I eat lots of popcorn - but the microwave bag kind (Love the Kettle Corn).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

I've been watching on Ebay for a few weeks, and they have been going for around $75 and shipping... if you ever take the first generation Poppery (the one this thread is about) and compare it to anything manufactured in the last 20 years, you will understand why they are going for such a price....  Also, it is a very simple appliance.  Didn't even need a diagram or schematic to figure out the wiring.

Edited by micabay

microwave bags and Keurig k-cups coffee for me... although when I get in a snobby mood I'll use a whirlypop for popcorn and a burr grinder and french press for coffee.   My snobby moods have become less and less.... but even at my snobbiest I never roasted my own coffee..... too cool. 

microwave bags and Keurig k-cups coffee for me... although when I get in a snobby mood I'll use a whirlypop for popcorn and a burr grinder and french press for coffee.   My snobby moods have become less and less.... but even at my snobbiest I never roasted my own coffee..... too cool. 

Freshly roasted coffee is like comparing a can of bud light to draft of locally brewed ale.  Night and Day.

• Like 1

So if you cant repair your popper, what's the next best thing... cost wise with reasonable results?

oh cool... just read a article about roasting coffee using a gas grill and a popper like the whirlypop I have. http://touch.artofmanliness.com/all/2013-06-20-how-to-roast-coffee-at-home-on-a-grill#1

I may give it a try as I apparently already have all the tools I need. If it turns out great, I'm gonna curse you like I curse my old neighbor who introduced me to the world of microbrews. Oh, how I was happy in my ignorance with a cheap bottle of Miller.

here is a video of a guy using the whirlypop on a hot plate inside... in the link above, they say to do it outside on a grill due to the strong odor... is that true and would you recommend this method for a novice?

http://youtu.be/qR4rfcE7KdU

Edited by DurhamAppliance

I'm still a novice myself, but the whirlypop method is good to go... the biggest thing is getting rid of all the chaft.   And make sure your vent good is in good working order.

I found a different brand of air popper and have been using it.  It's just not going to last any amount of time.   I can already tell the heating element is getting weaker, after about 10 roasts...  They are designed to get around to around 300 or so degrees before the thermostat trips, and a thermo fuse blows around 350ish...  i bypassed both in order to get up to the 450 degrees (sometimes more) required to reach the darker roasts....    The fan motor is around 25volts so I had to purchase a transformer from Radio shack to separate the fan, in order to get control of air flow...  Coffee bean chaft will burn... this is 100% hands on operation.  Fire repellent is always near by, also why I roast outside.

http://popperyii.blogspot.com/2011/01/completing-hiros-journey-poppery-ii-mod.html

My current ( not the one that this post was originally about) is simliar to this one, except my primary and secondary heaters are in series instead of parelle.

The #1 reason to roast your own beans is for freshness.  I use to buy from a local roaster.  I mainly wanted a new hobby that wasn't expensive as my last couple of hobbies.  

So if you cant repair your popper, what's the next best thing... cost wise with reasonable results?

oh cool... just read a article about roasting coffee using a gas grill and a popper like the whirlypop I have. http://touch.artofmanliness.com/all/2013-06-20-how-to-roast-coffee-at-home-on-a-grill#1

I may give it a try as I apparently already have all the tools I need. If it turns out great, I'm gonna curse you like I curse my old neighbor who introduced me to the world of microbrews. Oh, how I was happy in my ignorance with a cheap bottle of Miller.

here is a video of a guy using the whirlypop on a hot plate inside... in the link above, they say to do it outside on a grill due to the strong odor... is that true and would you recommend this method for a novice?

http://youtu.be/qR4rfcE7KdU

The more beans you roast the more smoke and smell is produced....  In a popcorn air popper you roast about 1/8 lb at a time, while with the whirly pop you'll be wanting to roast about 1/2 lb at a time.  Green beans lose about 20% of their weight, and gain 40-50% volume.  Green beans can sit around the home for about a year or so, before they start going stale, while roasted beans start going stale after 48 hrs of being roasted...   you'll want to wait 24-48 hrs after roasting, before brewing, to allow for "off gassing," aka CO2

I think I can do that... long ago I had an electric popper with an automatic stirrer. might add a drill attachment to my whirlypop.