Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

condenser fan blade

applianceman18007260692

your central unit outside condenser motor is gonna someday die, thats a fact of life, will you pay some guy 450 dollars to replace a 75 dollar part? or will you go for broke and fix that puppy yourself? one thing to keep in mind is the blade being attached to the worn out motor aint gonna wanna depart from its dead buddy too easy. ok maybe you got 50 bucks to go buy another blade and dont give a dang ,but if you take your time and do it right, you can remove the old blade and save some suds money .put the old motor and blade into a vise, get some sand cloth and start smoothing up the motor shaft surface between the blade and the motor get it as clean as you can ,then take a piece of hollow pipe about 6 inches long and place it on the hub being carefull not to hit the shaft ,you never want to hit the shaft, as it will expand and not allow the hub to come free ,DONT BEAT ON IT! tap down on the hub of the blade,with the hollow pipe,into the cleaned portion of the motor shaft ,and then, sand smooth the portion of the upper shaft you have exposed. add some good penetrating oil and wiggle the sucker off .Take your time and you will save money :dude:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Good tip, Applianceman! Keep posting pearls of wisdom like that as the spirit moves you and before long, you'll have a vast, searchable repository of HVAC wisdom right here and available for anyone to read.

and to add to that one of the most valuable features on your heating system cost about $0.50  . what could it be you ask ? the air filter, i have found the standard blue filter really works better then the more expensive ones for this fact it allow better air flow then the micro filters altho the micro filters say they last up to 3 months it can become blocked in the first two weeks and drasticly reduce the air flow to the blower motor making it work twice as hard with even less results thus causing the motor to burnout sooner and when the blower moter goes then you can develop other problems with other parts of the heating and /or cooling system  , and if you have a/c some dont but the same rule applies but moreso for those who have a/c never run the system without the air filter because now the cooling coil inside will begin to act as the filter and once it gets blocked/pluged it will cost a small fortune to have this problem corrected , spend a little and save alot,

• 4 months later...

[user=1635]jahjahbinks[/user] wrote:

and to add to that one of the most valuable features on your heating system cost about $0.50 . what could it be you ask ? the air filter, i have found the standard blue filter really works better then the more expensive ones for this fact it allow better air flow then the micro filters altho the micro filters say they last up to 3 months it can become blocked in the first two weeks and drasticly reduce the air flow to the blower motor making it work twice as hard with even less results thus causing the motor to burnout sooner and when the blower moter goes then you can develop other problems with other parts of the heating and /or cooling system , and if you have a/c some dont but the same rule applies but moreso for those who have a/c never run the system without the air filter because now the cooling coil inside will begin to act as the filter and once it gets blocked/pluged it will cost a small fortune to have this problem corrected , spend a little and save alot,

Hi,

Help me out on this. Are you referring to the system air filter that filters the return air to the blower(heating and cooling if applicable)? The one where I live is 14x24x1; a 3M is presently installed.

Mine is ready for change; how do I identify a "standard blue filter"? Brand? Source? Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, Walmart, Target?

Sounds good to me.

TIA.

Cheers!

Jim

The Force dictates that I must tell you, that if you are using a 3m pleated filter that is the correct size, you should stick with what you're using.

Archived