Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Posts $75 Million Loss

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

From the Wall Street Journal:

Home-appliance maker Maytag Corp., which is being acquired by Whirlpool Corp., on Friday reported a wider fourth-quarter loss as sharply higher costs offset modest sales growth.

The Newton, Iowa, company also said it will explore selling its financially ailing Hoover floor-care and Dixie-Narco vending-machine businesses. Whirlpool, which intends to complete the deal in the current quarter pending regulatory approval, said it "looks forward to reviewing any proposals Maytag may present, within the framework of our merger agreement."

Maytag lost $75 million, or 93 cents a share, compared with $14.1 million, or 18 cents a share, in 2004's final quarter. The recent results included hefty charges, including 32 cents a share for restructuring manufacturing operations. Asset and goodwill impairment charges totaled 17 cents a share, while merger-related expenses were 13 cents a share.

Sales rose to $1.24 billion from $1.16 billion in the year-earlier quarter, helped by a 7% rise in sales of home appliances, driven by refrigeration products.

Maytag attributed the losses to underused manufacturing capacity, a "disappointing" performance in its floor-care segment due to low volume and prices, and higher distribution costs.

"I am extremely disappointed that our positive sales gains in major appliances were more than offset by our overall high cost structure and poor floor-care performance," Maytag Chairman and Chief Executive Ralph Hake in a prepared statement. In a conference call, Mr. Hake called the Hoover business "a major disappointment."

For the full year, losses widened to $81.9 million, or $1.02 a share, from $9 million, or 11 cents a share, in 2004. Annual sales increased to $4.9 billion from $4.72 billion in 2004.

In contrast, Whirlpool has been posting solid results. On Thursday, the Benton Harbor, Mich., company reported a fourth-quarter profit of $126 million, or $1.83 a share, up from $97 million, or $1.44 a share, in the fourth quarter of 2004. Sales rose to $3.95 billion from $3.63 billion in the year-ago period.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is offical. 

Sears holding purchased Maytag/Whirlpool service.

This will go to A&E to provide premium B2B service.

70 Techs will be added in the NYC/CT area.

I understand there are 800 techs in all across the country.

Sorry to the techs who left Sears A&E to join Maytag for better bennies.

They are right back where they started.

Same deal in Detroit. A couple of my friends will be back after leaving for Maytag about 2 years ago. I was thinking about joining them, that door is now closed.

It's kind of sad, Maytag service had a good reputation and made good money for the company. I guess being good and profitable isn't enough for the CEO's of today.

Nick

Yea I know these guys may go to Mr Appliance now and start a franchise.

For me I'm a short timer.

Only a few good working years left.

It's all about cash streams now.

Archived