Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RedToryTy

LLOOOONNGG vent pipe cleaning advice

7 posts in this topic

To the Dojo,

A longtime customer called, wanting her 20-foot-plus dryer vent pipe (buried in the floor) cleaned.

Advice? Successful technique? I figured getting this product (http://www.amazon.com/Finally-Dryer-Duct-Cleaning-Works/dp/B00AWEUW6G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1395767335&sr=8-7&keywords=20%27+dryer+brush).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Red

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I have a 4" brush that attaches to my drill via flexible fiberglass poles. It works fine until I have to go through a couple of 90 deg turns. Your link looks like a better option as long as you have a compressor to attach it to.

We use the Lint Eater that can be purchased at most any Lowe's  http://www.lowes.com/pd_37653-59625-RLE202-L_0__?productId=3465404&Ntt=dryer+vent+cleaner&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddryer%2Bvent%2Bcleaner%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

Also, we used Chimney cleaning rods (harder stiffer and bigger) attached between the drill and Lint Eater, with custom made connector, for the straight portion of the dryer run.  The down fall, you can't go around any bends with them.  Also, you risk breaking off the Lint Eater portion by pushing against a 90 degree turn...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_39210-85334-BR0187_0__?Ntt=chimney+rod&UserSearch=chimney+rod&productId=3126461&rpp=32

Most cleaning events are done within 15-30 mins.  We don't do just dryer vents.  Must have us out working on the dryer first.  That way we get to pick and choose which vents get attention, from us.

Edited by micabay

Another thing, the dryer is running on air fluff while cleaning.  Get yourself a good reusable dust mask.  It'll save you from hacking up while making out the bill!

I also use the Lint Eater brush. However long the vent system is I'll just keep adding rods on untill I get all the way through it.

I also use the lint eater, if there is a lot of lint in the pipe I will use 3 sticks (9 feet) at a time then remove that section of the clog so your brush wont bog down and then go in with 3 more etc. until you get it all clean. I also use an electric leaf blower when done from behind the dryer to make sure its all out. (But watch out if you do, I have blown off roof jacks and had to get up on the roof to reattach.)

I've used a leaf blower with a a 4 to 2 vent adaptor taped up to it and hook it to vent and crank it to blast ur panties off mode gets the pipes clean

And lint eater after. Then another blaster. Ought be clean by then