Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Embroiderr

Sharp R-9X56 Convection Microwave.

3 posts in this topic

Currently looking at diagnosing and repairing above much loved convection microwave.

I have the repair manual and an idea where to look but have one -probably simple question for the initiated. It says to do the three Ds: unplug, wedge oped the door and then discharge the high voltage capacitor. How do I do the last bit. I have searched the web and come up some disturbing and not safe looking videos. Do you reall just short it out?! I don't want to damage any other parts in the process and want to achieve the aim and live!

Some sensible answers please.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

That is what you do, you short the terminal of the capacitor to ground. Make sure the power is turned off. If you have any reservations about doing it, do not do it, get a pro. Can be extremely dangerous.

How To Discharge The High Voltage Capacitor:

The capacitor is discharged by creating a short circuit (direct connection) between the two capacitor terminals and from each terminal to chassis ground bare metal surface.

1. Do this by touching the blade of an insulated-handled screw driver to one terminal, then slide it toward the other terminal until it makes contact and hold it there for a few seconds. (This can result in a rather startling "pop!")

2. Repeat the procedure to create a short between each capacitor terminal and chassis ground.

3. If the capacitor has three terminals, use the same procedure to create a short circuit between each terminal and then from each terminal to ground.

4. Older Amana-made models (generally those manufactured before 1977) have red, round filter capacitors mounted in the base of the magnetron tube which can also hold a charge. Ground each magnetron terminal by creating a short circuit to chassis ground using the blade of a screwdriver as explained above.

Edited by Chat_in_FL

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0