Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Carrier Quality Opinions?

edwardh1

3 friends and neighbors had mexican made carrier indoor coils on A/c HVAC units die due to small freon leaks - typically at 6 - 8 years of age. stuff installed in early to mid 90s. No help from carrier- gee thats too bad. My moms 8 year old carrier gas pack rusted out structurally and had to be replaced totally. all bought new units!!!

Seems amer std/trane or Rheem/ruddd are better. any opinions? carrier has huge market share tho, probably/possibly due to advertising????????

opinions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ed,I used to work for carrier till a few months ago. The factory I worked at moved to Mexico. Some of the people there went to Mexico to help set up the plant. The consensus opinion was that they didn't have it.If it means anything my central unit is a 14 year old trane. Just changed the draft motor.Other than oiling the fan motors and cleaning the condenser and evaporator every couple of years, it's been great

IMHO the new carriers, with their defective compressor killing harnesses and their fan relay boards that are dropping like flies, ain't no better than a goodman.  They're just as noisy too.  Tranes are built better.  Rheems are ok for the first 6 years till the condenser coil turns to white powder

i too have a trane inside and out  and you can bet i have had no problems with it sence it was installed , however i sell a lot of goodman products due to price and parts availibility, armstrong is o.k as well , name and high prices don`t make a product better, i have been installing janitrol/goodman for over 25 yrs and the first one is still operating ,and i see a lot of old carriers as well so i guess they all will last a decient life span if you follow who is making they`er compressors , one way to follow this is to watch sears ads for products changes if they have to many problems they will drop the manufacture , if it comes with a copeland or a tecumsch compressor good but if you get a bristol compressor oh well , and just to add some more info the worst built unit i have come across was a payne just like the name says but for long line set runs nothing beats a scroll compressor. R.I.P. LITTLE SNOWBALL.

• 1 month later...

I have a carrier AC purchased new 12+ years ago added to the existing GMC furnace. The only failure has been the condenser fan a couple years ago. Considering this areas climate runs 95-105 degrees in the summer and we have long warm periods each year, that is pretty good.

I have seen quite a few people praise the scroll compressor. Im glad they work so well in HVAC. They have a horrid history on Ford automobiles though. Not leakers like the former compressors we use, these things litterally crack cases, blow out the sides, and knock like crazy. I dont know who makes them for Ford but I wish they wouldnt.. Heef!.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the market to upgrade my Carrier.  The thing runs great and would work better in a smaller home.  I don't think it was sized correctly for my home.  Lets just say that my unit is 20 years old and still kicking.  It has a old school spiny coil outdoor unit that has prooven its self over the years.

I want a Trane but I have wine taste with a beer bugit.

Everywhere I looked on the net said all the units are pretty much the same as it just depends on the install.  I don't buy that.  I was looking at another carrier unit, as well as the kenmore badged ones for a cheeper price.  I dunno what to do.  I guess I will have to keep the name brand compressors in the back of my mind as well.

yes,thats true that lennox is somewhat quirky,however up here in nanooks playground it is the most respected name out there- carrier quality has taken a slide over the last few years,lennox does have some unique parts,but does all their own in-factory training as they have a large training centre here for lennox licensed servicers- i faithfully service the furnace in my parents home that still has the original lennox that was installed when the house was built in 1958- it keeps plugging along and still works very well.

Archived