Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Hook up RO system to regular faucet?

LI-NY Tech

I'd like to install an RO system in my kitchen.  I don't particularly like the look of the RO faucets/spouts and if possible would like to hook it up to my regular faucet.  The actual plumbing of this isn't a problem, I can hook it up to the cold water line of the faucet, and install a valve to switch to tap if the RO water runs out.  I understand the pressure won't be fantastic and the storage tank is small.

My question is more about the water itself.  From what I understand RO water is potentially harmful to metal.  Is this enough of an issue to stop me from running it through my main faucet?  If the faucet lines are not metal is there still an issue?

Thanks.

So it's not possible to hook it up to the main faucet?

" From what I understand RO water is potentially harmful to metal."

Don't know your system David, but my storage tank is metal. Had it for years and have not had any issues, other than regular cleaning and filter/ membrane changes.

Where did you hear this?

I haven't yet purchased a system.  I was reading around the internet (which everyone knows is made up of all 100% factual information) and came across, multiple times, plumbers telling others that RO water cannot be run through copper or other metals because it "aggressive", whatever that means.  The impression I got was that they were trying to say that because RO water lacks minerals it will supposedly seek out minerals and pull content from the metal it runs through.  Is this not true?

If it's not true then I see no reason why an RO system cannot be run through my main faucet.

Honestly, I don't know anything about that.

RO systems are very common in the southwest due to our extreme hard water issues. And the tap water just tastes like crap because all the stuff they have to put in it to make it "safe" to drink.

If you decide to install one, remember there is alot of discard water. For every gallon, 1/3 is used (drinkable) and 2/3 is discarded (drained). My in-laws run their discarded water thru an exterior wall and water their back yard with it. A jungle in the desert, to give you an idea. But if the system is installed in the middle of the home, then it is usally tapped into the sink drain. Not alot of basements here.

As far as the metal thing goes, I think you will be fine. All the lineset is 1/4" poly. Disclaimer follows: talk to the RO distributors in your area and see what works best. I'm sure you already knew that.

Edited by beam current

Good tip about the discarded water, I'll put it to use.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Team Samurai

We have an RO system hooked up in our kitchen.  It's very easy to do and comes as a kit.  You will install a J-faucet which will serve only RO water.  The tank and filter assembly sit underneath the sink.  Here's the exact system we've used for years, includes all the hardware, adapters, and J-faucet:  4 Stage Reverse Osmosis 50 GPD Water Filter System

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Regarding the problems with RO water ... it will damage copper over time, but we don't know the materials used in your existing faucet. The water is aggressive, but will do nothing to plastics or metals that resist corrosion.

I use it in my refrigerator icemaker for years with no problems. The tubing is plastic. The water solenoid valves are plastic except for the plunger. The icemaker tray is metal.

As far as using the waste water ... be careful. It is concentrated with the contaminants that are removed from the water. It may be fine, but if the tap water was high in TDS (ionized salts), the waste water (reject water) will have even a higher TDS. So I would test the TDS of the reject water and find out if the plants considered can tolerate it. Some may, some may not.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It is conditioned (softened) water that is caustic to metals (eg water heater) - RO water should not be an issue. You cannot share the dispenser faucet with the raw water faucet as that would defeat the purpose, how would the faucet determine whether to allow RO water or raw water to flow?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

RO systems don't create enough water pressure to be used in a standard kitchen faucet - it would just barely trickle out if you did something like this.   RO faucets and spouts are much smaller than standard kitchen faucets,