Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Animalsanimalsanimals

GE Profile Refrigerator not cooling top half - freezer running fine

5 posts in this topic

I've been having a problem with a three-year-old GE Profile refrigerator for about two months now.  The top half of the fridge is not cooling down.  The freezer in the bottom is working fine, and I've taken off the back (the bottom half that allows accessibility) and don't see any real problems there - everything seems to be running fine.  I took a few photos of the back area (links below), but I don't know if they'll be of any use (since I'm not sure what I really should be looking for).

http://members.localnet.com/~emiko/fridge1.jpg

http://members.localnet.com/~emiko/fridge2.jpg

http://members.localnet.com/~emiko/fridge3.jpg

I'm suspecting that there's some sort of clogged drain that's causing, but have no idea how to go about testing that theory.  My work hours make it hard to wait for the repairman unless absolutely necessary, so I'd like to see if there's something I can do to remedy the situation myself.

Any help would be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

--Rich

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would look to see if there is ice built up on the evaperator coil in the freezer, and is blocking the air flow to the food compartment.  Remove the back wall of the freezer from the inside and tell us if it is clogged with ice, indicating a defrost problem.  We will also need the Model and Serial numbers, Please.

Thanks for your quick reply!

There appears to be some ice buildup on the bottom of the freezer unit.  My wife mentioned to me that the top part of the unit does occasionally kick on, but only for a few minutes at a time (not enough, obviously to cool anything appreciably).  I also cannot seem to see anyway to access the back of the freezer ... the back wall, sides and floor seem to be all one solid panel.

The model # is PDS18LBMABB and the Serial # is FD900728V (hopefully I copied them down correctly).

Thanks!

--Rich

It couln't hurt to clean that jelly roll conderser coil. 

I have not had the pleasure of taking one of these apart yet,, but the evaperator is behind the wall.  Perhaps someone here who had tackled this can help, as I hear they are tricky!!  The panels do come out but there is some sort of trick to it.