Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Window A/C fan switch

Castaway

I will be replacing the fan switch in an old 220 window unit.  I have on hand a fan switch from a relatively new 110 unit.  In comparing them, the only difference is the number of connections, the 220 has an econo mode.  Is there a problem or something special I need to know or can I put this one in and tape up the extra wire.  Can I post pics. somewhere or a link if I need some clarification?

Thanks,

Joanna, Gulf Shores, AL 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=4554]applianceman18007260692[/user] wrote:

I dont think I would try a 110 volt fan switch on a 220 unit
I agree, Most 110 volt a/c switches have a line and neutral on them where 220 volt a/c switches have 2 hot lines ie: 220 volts. i would also advise against trying this swap .

Thanks, Guys!

Now my problem is the parts #.  I can't find/get to the model #.  All I know is that it's about 12-15 years old, it's 220, and the front plate has Whirlpool-DesignerStyle. 

There are 2 #'s on the backof the switch,  ASR8173-461 and 1158669.  It also has a GE logo.  Could you tell me which one of those?   Haven't found anyone locally handling parts for a window unit so I may not be able to compare.

The switch was working but the switch knob plastic stick thing broke.  Is there a way to fix that w/o replacing the whole part?  Superglue?

Thanks, again.

The part# 1158669 is the correct part# to order.

Here it is: CLICK HERE to see and/or order.

Here's a parts break down of a unit like yours that uses the same part, (part ref# 26 is the selector switch).

CLICK HERE for a model like yours.

More thanks to you Guys!

And Willie,  you gave this Senior a great confidence boost when you let me know the part #.  I've been concerned about ordering the wrong one and armed with the specific #, I'm gonna try calling around locally again.

• Team Samurai

Hey! Can you get more local than right on your computer screen? C'mon, don't be a web mooch: you get help here, buy the part here.

I apologize. I was not thinking and I'm not very savvy when it comes to web manners regarding things like this.  The puchase from anywhere won't be made  until/unless I get the mold and mildew in it destroyed.

Sinecerely!

you could use a dremmel and a small cutter wheel and make a slot in the shaft just big enough to get a small flat blade screwdriver in it . just for a getby

Thanks.

I have a Dremel and cutting wheels but might need a thinner, smaller dia.  It's broken almost flush to the switch.  Can't use it as it is, sure will be worth the effort.

Peace.

Archived