Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
herfdog

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.51183113

10 posts in this topic

The Ice maker on this refrigerator is not working. I'm wondering about the emitter boards on this unit since there is no indicator light with flapper closed or open. The emitter is turned on. All ice maker components, emitter boards, everything associated with ice maker is on the  freezer door so this unit is a bit different from anything I have encountered in the past. How can I test the emitter boards on this unit and do you have any info on interpreting those test results?

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

first, what is the status of the icemaker harvesting fingers?  Are they in the normal park position? If the icemaker  is stuck in harvest mode the emitter will not light up.

If the icemaker is okay and you are not getting light from the emitter then, by definition, you have a bad emitter.

This is the little shorty 6-cube ice maker.  I don't even see an emitter board called out for this unit, unless I'm missing something.  

Wait, I think I found it but it looks different from the conventional emitter-receiver board and each has it's own part number:

Part number: W10180607

Part number: W10180607

Part number: W10296530

Part number: W10296530

Is the normal position on this ice maker about 1 o'clock?

it should be about 2:30. Remove icemaker and check the inline thermal fuse. If bad, replace the connector but I would also replace the icemaker. Also make sure there is nothing preventing water from entering icemaker

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Ice maker Part number: W10122576

Part number: W10122576

These emitter based guys can drive you crazy. 

Here's my suggestion:

Kill power.

Remove the ice maker from the wire harness

Wait a few minutes.

Restore power.

Open the door.

If the emitter and receiver board are working correctly, you should see a sequence of rapid flashes (I think it's 3 flashes) indicating the emitter can't find an ice maker.  If you're still not seeing any lights, you probably have a bad emitter, but to be sure of that, you need to disconnect the right hand side board and verify 120 VAC coming into the black wire. 

If this is like the one I worked on today in diagnostic step 15 it shows the status of the ice bin...01 full or missing or 02 empty.

this looks like the dual fingered harvester icemaker. I believe it has a different park position. this model has diagnostics as JJ states, diagnostic mode can reveal quite a lot and you should begin there.

Thanks for all the great information!