Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
DanInKansas

GE d/w PDWT580P00S -- smart dispenser has gone stupid

7 posts in this topic

Came across the first one of these I've ever seen today.  Complaint was "does not dispense".  

The "not dispensing" is coming from the right, the disk labeled "smart dispenser".  I opened the cap, the disk underneath was heavily caked with residue.  Scraped all the residue off, following the sage advice of "take care of the obvious problem first." 

On the cap of the smart dispenser was a label saying "do not combine enzyme and chlorine". 

So here are my questions:

1)  What is the smart dispenser?  What makes it "smart"?

2)  Doesn't every detergent these days combine enzyme and bleaching agent?  

3) How do you test this when the customer has it full of liquid?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yo Danny boy...

smart dispenser...right ;) all liquid detergent is either chlorine based or enzyme based....mixing them in that dispenser will cause hardening and clumping.

so...if you see clumps in that thing, go ahead and replace the reservoir and the disp motor.

I would hit "like" on that Kurt, but I hate being called Danny.  :rocker:

My bad. (Never shoulda told that ;) )

But the advice is rightous...

I had the same thing on Monday, I ordered the resevoir and the motor. I also told customer not to mix different detergents.  This dispenser was definitely NOT one of GE's better ideas.

To my best knowledge we only have three or four of those around here. My parts cost to fix these screw ups is about $150. Three out of four of them are now using the conventional soap dispenser... :tongue:

But...but...that would mean I would have to put soap in the dispenser EVERYTIME I do a load of dishes...what ever is the world coming to!?!?