Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
pissed off

GE Triton XL Makes a grumbling noise

25 posts in this topic

I have an 18 month old GE Triton GSD6660G02SS. The dishwasher is making a grumbling noise that sound like it is coming from the pump and motor assembly. I replaced that $140.00 part and it did not help. When I disconnect the top and middle washer arms the noise will stop. When I connect either one the noise starts again. It is the same grumble noise weather either or is connected. The noise will grumble then stop and then grumblle..so on and so on. Any Suggestions????? Anyone need a new Motor & pump???:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

As I much as I HATE GE appliances, and the hell I go through every time I'm called out to fix one, I think what you're probably hearing is just the food grinder doing what it's supposed to do--mashing up all those little food particles from your dishes into a liquid mush so they can be easily and safely flushed down the drain.  Some dishwashers are noisier than others at doing this. I workd on an old Kenmore machine several years ago that sounded like a jet engine!  It's sort of a built in "garbage disposal" if you will.  Nothing to be concerned about here unless the machine is obviously not cleaning your dishes or is shutting itself down or tripping the fuse box/breakers.   Hopefully this is all you're hearing.  The noise you're describing goes away after you've disconnected the spray arms simply because there's no water circulating through the pump...  Good luck!

Dan

My GE Triton Dishwasher GSD6200GWW is making the same type of noise. We have had it almost 36 months now. I looked around under the unit, no water, no signs of wear. Just growling from the pump area. Does anyone have a diagram showing the parts in there. The user manual doesn't help.

Thanks!

does it always make this noise? how fast does the noise cycle eg. every 30 seconds?

do you completely fill the dishwasher with dishes or is it frequently run half empty?

It makes the noise any time the wash / rince cycle is going. We run the dishwasher full 95% of the time.

how fast does the noise cycle eg. every 30 seconds?

do you completely fill the dishwasher with dishes or is it frequently run half empty?

It is a constant sound during the wash and rinse cycles, no cycling. It doesn't matter if it is ful or empty, the sound is always there.

well thats different then. as suggested earlier it maybe the food grinder or something in the pump.

did it make this noise when new?

No noise when new, actually pretty quiet. I wonder if there is something stick in the grinder. Any suggestions as to how to access it?

No info on your exact model but this should show you what you are wanting to see... This will also show you how to access parts in the unit...

boy i wish i had a touch screen like the ge techs do. makes looking at those diagrams alot easier.

i believe those ge have a 5 year pump and motor waranty. you may harrass them for new one. 

but i would follow the original poster. and try and locate the sound origin. remove the spray arms. replace one at a time. things like that. also could try a light and a dental mirror and look around in the boot from inside the dishwasher.

those pumps come out pretty easy. but, imo, only if the whole dishwasher is uninstalled and lying on its back. after its out you could examine it for something loose.

what happened to pissed off and stop hijacking posts commuter.

I know what the noise is in your dish washer. Call GE and ask for the little part that is clipped onto the water tube that runs up the back of the dishwasher and supplies the middle /upper spray arms with water. The piece I am refering to is the part that supplies the middle spray arm. It is held on with a screw and clipped on also. I have replaced several of these lately and it has solved the problem. Try it!

The Force is saying "next time you hear that noise, open the door and add some more water to your dishwasher from a pitcher."  Close the door and see how it sounds.

I read the post about adding water last night just after I started the dishwasher. It was grumbling, so I opened the door and added a quart of water, closed the door, it grumbled for about 3 seconds then ran quietly the rest of the time ..... What does this mean?

Sounds like you are not getting enough water into the tub, might need to replace the fill valve, may not be letting enough water in the tub in the time it is open for fill..

What might cause the fill valve to not completely fill? This unit has always been run on soft, filtered water. Is there any adjustment that can be made?

Screen inside the valve could be clogged from stuff from the water heater, flow washer is rubber, they swell up restricting the water flow thru the valve...or not enough water to the valve from the cut off under the sink, they get clogged also.

Thanks for the info. Just to verify, looking at the parts list / diagram, the valve we are talking about is called the 'WATER VALVE INLET p/n WD15X10003', correct?

Would be called a fill valve or water inlet valve, not sure about the part number, could not bring up your dishwasher by your model number...

Dang!  Looks like the Force nailed it.   The part number WD15X10003 sounds like a good fill valve part number.

Here's the direct link to the fill valve: CLICK HERE.

This is so simple that I've decided I must be more retarded than I previously thought I was...

:withstupid:

For the last two hours I've been scouring the web in search of a solution to this exact same issue, which has been taunting me for about a month, and after a bunch of failed attempts I finally figured it out.

Adding water fix = Nope, didn't work for me - :fingerwag:

Float relay/valve fix = Un-Uh, I dinked around with it to no avail - :fingerwag:

Cleaning out strainer and drain fix = Forget it, didn't help - :fingerwag:

ACTUAL FIX:

I took a $.05 tie wrap and ZIPPED THE MIDDLE SPRAY ARM TUBE TIGHT TO THE UPPER RACK in order to prevent it from vibrating. When I shut the door and the dishwasher started doing it's thing, all I heard was a nice quiet hum - just how it's supposed to be!

Now all somebody has to do is explain how GE can list that frickin' conduit tube (which is nothing more than a two-holed straw) for $56.00 and my world will be complete. 

:P

Regards,

TF

My parents have a Triton XL GSD6660 white dishwasher. I picked it out myself and was so proud because it was a good price and is the best performing dishwasher we've ever seen. Washes everything, and is pretty quiet. Until 9 months ago it starte making the grumbling noise. I took the whole thing apart down to the motor and found nothing wrong. It still washes great, just with a grumble.

Until i hunted around online and found posts about loose piping in the rear. sure enough, the rear conduit was loose so i tightened it down. But, it didn't solve the issue.

The next step was to replace the upper docking cone, but we were reluctant to do that.

Zip ties eh? I'll totally try that out the next time i'm home. What a wonderful idea.

Oh, and as far as the food grinder is concerned:

On my adventures of taking this machine apart, i did eventually find the hard food disposer. It's a spinning blade in front of the pump intake. BUT, the water goes through 2 filters before it reaches the pump, so the grinder is a moot point. I guess it's there just to say "they have it". But food will never reach it. It just filters too well.

you don't need to take the valve apart just start the washer at the begining and after the washer fills and starts to wash stop the washer and see if the water comes just under the heating element.and if noise is still there try adding a little more water and see what hapens post back cdwasher