Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
neko de aru

Kenmore refrigerator goes wacka-da-boop!

11 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I have a 1989 Kenmore fridge, model # 8790682. Works fine, but whenever (what I suspect is) the compressor cycles off, it makes a sound like WACKA-DA-BOOP, fairly loud.

Am I losing my compressor? Is it the bearings? Or just a loose bolt?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Model number? Should start 106. 253. or 363. followed by 7 or 8 digits. It should be on a label inside your refrigerator compartment, usually on the left hand side.

Sounds very like a broken spring inside your compressor, but give us that all-important number so we can make a reasoned assessment and give you some ideas on where to look.

Sorry, the model # starts with 106.

This a Whirlpool Ref. with a Kenmore name on it.  The first thing to suspect is the broken spring inside of the compressor.  You could also have bad rubber mountings under the compressor feet or a freon line hitting something.  You would need to pull the box out and remove the bottom panel to see exactly where the noise if coming from.

Leadimage.asp?productTypeID=0160000&brandID=0582&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR&modelNumber=1068790682&documentID=00050315&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=UNIT&titleID=00006&

Older Whirlpool-build top freezer, simple and robust. There should be a panel at the lower rear which you can remove, see if you can pin down where the noise is coming from.

So if the chief culprit is a broken spring inside the compressor, what should I do? Have it fixed, or buy a new fridge? I understand a compressor replacement is not something I can do myself.

I love the fridge; even the icemaker continues to work flawlessly.

If it is the compressor the repair would be several hundred $. This is not something you could do yourself and probably would not want to pay to have repaired at around $700.00 give or take.  All you could do is run it till the compressor bites the dust or replace the ref.

I generally do this type of job for about 350 to 450 bucks including the parts (compresser, Filter/ dryer, and a half pound of refrigerant). If its R-12 the job gets costlier, however R-414B is a good substitute. Just be sure that is fed in via liquid so it wont fractionate.

Thers a lot of expensive equipment used in this kind of job, its exacting and time consuming work, so expect to pay a handsome fee for it.

Bob Sankie

Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air

North County San Diego

www.coastalappliances.com

Unplug your fridge,give your compressor a good shake.If it's a bad spring, you'll hear it clank!  I'd let it run till something else happens, then make a decision about fixing it.

Thanks to everyone who responded for all the good advice. 

Don't border to get it fix since it already 16 years old.

Save the money for an new one which is more efficicieny.

Your old one could use more than twice amount of electricity.