LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

{GE: SG50T 12AV F00 Gas } Time to replace?

Ghost

50 gallon gas GE unit, dated 7/2003.  Works fine no problems.  Am I running on borrowed time?  (i.e. is it time to replace it rather than wait for the basement to flood?)  One more question, if you would allow.  Is it generally helpful to drain the tank on any w.h. once a year, or does this usually apply to electric heaters?

Thank You!

Ghost

No. Applies to gas also. Depends on your water supply quality... sediment and mineral content, hardness, well water, etc. Recommend a flush every 1-2 years.

Has the anode been changed regularly? If not (most have not), you are coming close to the "great flood". If in a tight spot, you can purchase the "sausage" anodes. It WILL extend the life of the water heater.

Thanks Radio, I found my O.M. and it actually did recommend annual draining which I have done.  I haven't replaced anodes but this is on my todo list since the part isn't too expensive. Fortunately the water is good quality here, judging by the looks of the insides of 50 years old pipesI  I think most people would never schedule a maintenance call on their water heaters - that's really too bad considering the headaches it could save you.

Ghost

• 2 weeks later...

As a followup, I contacted customer service and they told me to drain the tank, disconnect all the hardware and tip it over to replace the anode.  Not going to happen.  I pulled out the automotive tools to see if the anode could actually be unscrewed.  That baby is never going to move even with penetrating oil.  It probably would if you had an impact driver, but then you run the risk of breaking something.  Guess it is good to check before going to all the trouble.  I'll keep an eye out for signs of  leaking.

Thanks,

Ghost

• Like 1