Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. 
      I'll be posting a couple more tech sheets before Saturday so be sure to follow this event to keep up with the tech sheets we'll be going through. 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Wolf Range

winenotwhine

winenotwhine

I have not been happy at all with Wolf. The first stove (pre-SubZero) from them was recalled for this. Then, when that stove had numerous other issues, SubZero replaced it (Dec 2003). Last November the delayed ignition started and has progressively gotten worse to where i have stopped using it.

Anyhow, this is an LP unit. Any chance they did not convert it correctly? You'd think they wouldn't send me a replacement stove, two years after the recall, with the same problem the recall addressed.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Not likely that it's a conversion issue-- that would have shown up right away. There's a somewhat common problem with the gas regulator in these ranges. They tend to let the LP ooze out between uses. So it takes a bit for the LP to fill the gas tube and supply the burners.

Call Wolf and tell them they need to change out the regulator for you at no charge.

• 3 months later...
winenotwhine

You're right. After lots of back and forth with Wolf and multiple visits from dealer reps, it's agreed that the tubes between the regulator and the gas exit at the burner is empty after sitting awhile. The next time you turn the knob, a rush of gas enters the empty tube, casusing the regulator to close becasuse if senses an unsafe, rich gas/air mixture. After about 15-20 clicks from the ignitor, the regulator senses things have balanced out, it opens, explosion at the burner, and all is good.

Wolf's proposed solution is a new set of burner rings that have holes on the interior part of the burner disk. The theory is that more initial gas will reach the spark ignitor. They sent me a set with the extra orifices but it didn't help.

It is true that if you unplug the unit, hold a match to the burner and turn the knob, it lights up immediately.

I asked them about the regulator, could it be changed or modified. They insist it has nothing to do with the regulator. It is a matter of "physics". Propane is heavier than natural gas and just acts this way. Do you still think a new or different regulator might solve the problem?

I have the same issue with my Whirlpool gas range, however it on natural gas...if I do not use the top burners for awhile the burner roars with small pointy flame that gets bigger till the flame is normal in these sealed burners....gas valve changed twice under warranty...finally said it is because the gas goes down into the line when not used every day, this happens only if I have not use it for 2-3 days...I just know this is normal on my range...not to say it is on yours..

winenotwhine

It's definitely normal in the sense that the stove has always acted this way, but I don't get a roar but a pretty impressive boom. Big enough that I only use the back burners to give myself some distance.

Yea, mine does that sometimes too, learned to not put anything on the burners before turning them on, seems to light better that way, guess gives more air to the burner...keep more of my hair that way...:P

Archived