Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest rhallfidalgo

too hot Kenmore dryer

5 posts in this topic

My Kenmore dryer 110.86984110 runs too hot, even on the low setting. Samurai has helped me by telling me to replace the cycling thermostat. Where is this located? Is there a Whirlpool part that will work? Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Ah, the Whirlpool-built  27" dryer.  The cycling thermostat is mounted on the blower housing and has a bias heater (items 42 and 28)-- this page will help you with disassembly.  The bias heater may have opened in which case the thermostat will always call for heat. You should measure the resistance of the bias heater.

For the cycling thermostat CLICK HERE.

For the bias heater CLICK HERE.

Your dryer will get too hot, so hot you cannot touch the top, if the air from the dryer is blocked from the dryer to the outside also.  Check your vent hose behind the dryer and from there to the outside.  If in doubt, pull the dryer out, remove the vent hose from the dryer and run it to see if the top is cooler.  And you could also have a grounded element causing it to by-pass all of the safeties in the dryer and never shutting off till you turn the timer to the off position.  If all of these check ok, see what temperature the dryer is cycling off at by putting a thermometer into the dryer vent while it is running on high heat.  It should cycle off at around 150*.  If it keeps climbing to say 170* you have a bad cycling thermostat or the element is grounded.

My old early 1970s Whirlpool dryer heats up to higher-than-normal temperatures, and nearly caught fire a  few days ago.  Even on "AIR FLUFF" the heating element will heat up, to the point that I can't touch the dryer cabinet.

Darren, check to see if the heating element has grounded itself to the canister, this will cause the element to stay on at all times unless the timer is off or the dyer is unplugged...