LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Heil gas furnace help

TennBears

I have a HEIL combined heating and air unit model #NPGAA42E1K7 that was installed when my house was built in the late 80's. The draft induction motor needs replacing. I found the motor no problem but the motor housing behind it is rusting out and even has a small, pinky finger size hole in it. It is made of sheet metal and looks like it is easy to replace simply by removing a few screws, however I have no idea what this part is called or how to find one. I've searched for a parts breakdown for this unit but I guess due to age I'm having trouble finding one. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a pic

post-31922-0-82357200-1445305429_thumb.j

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TennBears

• JJDH

• alamo1718

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just uploaded a file named Heil / ICP, PGA, PGM,NPG Package units HVAC. It has the parts breakdown for your unit. 

HOWEVER, I can't find the hole in your posted picture. If there is a hole in the heat exchanger, it can leak Carbon Monoxide into your house. That is a very very dangerous, sometimes deadly situation. At a minimum, get a CO detector or check the batteries in your existing CO detector. I would also strongly recommend you call a HVAC contractor and have them check your furnace. There is already one hole and I can see rust in your picture and the system is old. These are the classic signals that a heat exchanger may very well be bad/cracked/hole/rusted through. The other danger in a cracked heat exchanger is that it can blow that flame into the duct work and into your house. 

Thank you for responding so quickly. Forgive me if I've overlooked it but I cannot seem to find the file you uploaded about my unit. If you could, please point me in the direction to find it. Also I have replaced the heat exchanger a few years back. Is that something I still need to be concerned with? Thank you again for your help!

Have a contractor do a tune up. That part is called a cold header collector box by most manufacturers. That unit should have a combustion test done. At this point it doesn't make sense to keep repairing a 1980s furnace. Consider updating.

Thank you, now I know what it is called but I'm having trouble finding it because I can't find a part number. Any way to find a break down of this unit or a part number?