LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Second Upgrade Attempt: We're Goin' Down 12/31/2015!

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

Greetings Brethren Appliantologists across the globe and over yonder!

Big things are shakin' here at Appliantology! We're upgrading to the next big version of the software that runs this forum. This will be the deployment of over two months of work, testing and debugging the software on a test site, doing everything we possibly can to make this as smooth an upgrade as possible for mere carbon units working in a silicon world. So, here's the drill...

Who: You, my Brethren in The Craft. 

What: Planned downtime for Appliantology while we do a major software upgrade

When: Thursday, December 31, 2015 from 7 pm to 9 am Eastern Time (adjust to your time zone accordingly)... IF everything goes well.

Where: Here at Appliantology.org

Why: Because we love you, each and every one of our dear members. Seriously, no chit, mon. Love you long time, GI. And it is out of our great love for you that we want you to have the very best user experience here at Appliatology.org that we can possibly offer. More on that in a minute. 

What You'll See During the Downtime

I'll post a maintenance screen with an announcement that the site is down and a link to my Twitter feed where I'll be posting progress updates. You can follow me on Twitter or just click the link on the maintenance page. Here's the explicit link to my Twitter feed: https://www.twitter.com/FixitnowSamurai

Experience has shown that these things are fraught with unexpected (and unwelcome) surprises. So if we end up having to do a roll-back and install the back up of the old site, we could be down an additional two hours, from 10 pm to 2 am ET. 

Now for Some of the Fun Stuff!

Although the old version will continue to be viable software for the foreseeable future-- too many big names still use it, like Evernote-- the single biggest reason we're doing this upgrade is so that you will have a fully responsive theme on your mobile devices. Members who access the site through a mobile platform of one flavor or another comprise about a third of our total membership. Currently, members have access to a stripped-down mobile theme that removes much of the functionality of the main sections of the site, such as the Downloads section, while using this theme. This has caused some bewilderment and intestinal gas for a few members. 

Well, no more!

The new site software has been completely re-written and a fully mobile-responsive mobile theme was built into it from the git-go. So all sections of the site will be available to you on any mobile device! 

More accessible appearance with larger fonts and buttons, more intuitive interface, more friendly appearance, bunnies, kittens, and belly button lint. Okay, I'm kidding about the belly button lint.

Full tech members will also no longer see Google ads. Less clutter, more Appliantology!

Let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, see you on the Other Side

Samurai

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Edited date and time for upgrade.
  • Like 3

BUT WHAT WILL WE DO DURING THAT TIME?

I am expecting withdrawals.

No seriously, Thanks for the continuing improvements!!!

• Like 1

• Team Samurai

Well, that didn't go so well! Everything was looking great until we started looking around in some of the topics. We first saw extra line breaks inserted between paragraphs in everyone's posts. We thought, "Okay, looks a little weird but we can probably live with that... IF that's all there is."

Where there's smoke, there's fire so we went looking for other insidious problems. We found it in the media tags. None of the YouTube videos embedded using the media tag appeared anymore. The Youtube link to the video was still there but when you clicked it, it opened the same topic page again. WTF? 

When we saw that, it was a deal breaker and we had to restore the database and roll back the forum software to the earlier version. So here we are. Welcome back!

And for my next trick, I'll put an LG thermistor in a GE refrigerator and make it keep temperature correctly! 

• Like 2

Well, that didn't go so well! Everything was looking great until we started looking around in some of the topics. We first saw extra line breaks inserted between paragraphs in everyone's posts. We thought, "Okay, looks a little weird but we can probably live with that... IF that's all there is." Where there's smoke, there's fire so we went looking for other insidious problems. We found it in the media tags. None of the YouTube videos embedded using the media tag appeared anymore. The Youtube link to the video was still there but when you clicked it, it opened the same topic page again. WTF?

When we saw that, it was a deal breaker and we had to restore the database and roll back the forum software to the earlier version. So here we are. Welcome back!

And for my next trick, I'll put an LG thermistor in a GE refrigerator and make it keep temperature correctly!

Bummer!!! We will get it someday! When we do, it will be awesome. But it's so important for those videos to show. How else will the Samurai inform less fortunate PCM's?????

Thanks to the whole Samurai team (Mrs Samurai, Samurai and the Samurai younglings) for working on this upgrade (and everything else). Your hard work does NOT go unnoticed!!!!

Thanks brotha!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Team Samurai

TAKE TWO! We think we've got the major bugs squished under our sandals and we're going to attempt another upgrade on New Year's Eve, December 31, 2015 @7pm ET. We figure that's a good day/time to be down for a couple hours because everyone will be out partying. 

PS: I've edited the opening post in this topic and the topic title to reflect the new upgrade date and time. 

gallery_4_24_90672.jpg

Out partying?  Us?  Nope, I was planning on doing some serious appliantogical studying New Years Eve.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go party now.  That bottle of Glen Livet isn't gonna drink itself.

Edited by LI-NY Tech
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Team Samurai
10 minutes ago, momakmak said:

Can't get tech manuals

I'd really like to help but you've given me nothing to work with here.