Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Dishwasher Mod. 587.15193400

Mark Allen

Searched for tech sheets and parts manuals for the Kenmore dishwasher model 587.1519340 with no success.  Wildcard got me 587.144 and  have no idea if thats going to be close enough.  

Sounds like Ive got a potential motor short but I want more info before heading out.  So far  have a 100% first call complete and 100% customer satisfaction rating with Pro.com.  Definitely want to keep that streak going.

Hey Master

I thank you for everything you continue to assist me with.  The resources are amazing.  It also lends street cred to my business when I bust a move with my lap top on the kitchen counter in the clients home while troubleshooting a troublesome cantankerous POS appliance. 

I want to share today's experience with the Kenmore dishwasher.   

Frankly , as a bit of a newby in the biz I can suffer from internal strife and overwhelming  confusion if I dont concentrate carefully due to the wide range of different configurations of the same appliance even within the same manufacturer.

Today I was going into downtown Seattle to a townhouse thats about ten years old.  The client was on the fence yesterday between just buying a new dishwasher.  He wasnt happy with my quotes of the repair options.  From the descriptions of the issues he had I was fairly confident it was either the wash motor or the drain pump.  Leaning heavily towards the wash motor.  I had him run some simple tests for me yesterday in advance of my visit to assist me with the troubleshooting remotely.  In the end I was starting to wonder if he was simply going to cancel the appointment then get a buddy to help him change the parts.

Then yesterday he offered to pay the $100 call out fee I charge to get me there to do some simple troubleshooting.  He had been trying to figure it out himself but not having any success.  So at least I will make something.....

Heres a brief synopsis of the problems his dishwasher was having.  It would run ok with no abnormal noise but not complete the cycle before blowing the circuit breaker.  Length of run time varied somewhat and the last time he ran it at my request to try to nail down the time so I could look at the charts and maybe determine the cause, it leaked water and he claimed it had a burning smell.  

Maybe you have seen this happen a few times but I was totally unprepared for what I found.  I will attempt to attach the cell phone pic I took.  I had visions of all sorts of bad things possible from a jammed motor and leaky seals or cracked sump to a split hose to god knows what.  The fix turns out to be so simple I would never have thought of it during the remote troubleshooting session.  One of the heating element hold down nuts had split and the heating element was loose in the tub.  Water was pouring down onto the wiring.  I surmised at that point that a new door seal, two new nuts and I will have saved him from buying a new unit.  He was happy.  especially when I told him how dangerous it could potentially be as things get saturated with water and then the 240 VAC heater kicks in.  

Short version of all this is I was very happy to have a simple fix for a hesitant client, especially as I am still learning.

Honestly I have no idea how his dishwasher can possible work correctly after looking at how it was installed by a supposedly licensed/ trained plumber and electrician.  The drain hose runs horizontal along the floor in the back of the cabinetry for a minimum of 15 feet until it turns straight up into the airgap.  Plus , the power for the dishwasher consists of a hole in the floor under the appliance thru which the romex cable was routed and connected to the machine.  Im pretty sure the codes require a J box, covered, with conduit......what do I know, Im just an rookie appliance tech.

anyway Im sending this directly to you as I rambled a bit and I dont know if any of this has any info that is useful to anyone or not.  You may decide to share any of this if you see fit.

Hummmmm....I cant see any way to attach a photo to this.  Please advise.

Mark Allen

Owner

Marks Sharps

Seattle WA

You should have a couple of those Frigidaire heater nuts in stock, it's a somewhat common occurrence on those models.

And just for you info, the heater in a dishwasher isn't 240 Vac, (if you just have a standard house wall plug or three conductor romex cable it is a 110 Vac circuit, so you can't have a 240 Vac heater).   Some dishwashers do run on 240 Vac but I can't think of or know of any home dishwashers that do, just commercial ones or foreign country units.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
  • Like 1

good catch Willie

I hadnt even checked that voltage but it made his eyes open up when I mentioned that if he were standing there in bare feet with water on the floor and the heater kicked on it might be a bad thing......

Im definitely getting spare nuts.  I can see how this is common.  very cheesy set up.

(OK everybody can stop laughing now......)

and now Ive had to reschedule the appointment for the repairs due to the horrid traffic in Seattle this morning....its raining again.  Took 45 minutes to go 7 miles. :down:  :wallbash: