Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Cafe fridge running / not cooling - CFCP1NIXASS

STVO

Hi, I've got a 7 year old GE Cafe series refrigerator that has become a headache and a potential money pit.  It's currently running with lights on, fan blowing, and power running from the mothaboard.  However, the compressor is not kicking on.  I've viewed all the great videos and posts on the possible issue, but, still can't identify the culprit.  Two local appliance technicians also took a stab at the repair, yet, only speculated it to be the compressor.  Here is what has been tried: run several full diagnostic tests, replaced inverter twice, and plugged in a new mothaboard. Diagnostic tests recorded: 8.4 volts from j15 wire pins and inverter while running; 122 volts from wall at inverter; equal 6.6 ohms at three compressor windings.  

Before making the leap to change out the compressor, I was hopeful there was another test to prove the compressor is locked-up?  

One other thing, when I plug in the fridge, I can hear a very light high pitched beep.  It sounds like an attempt by the inverter to start the compressor. This sound will stop and reoccur again minutes later.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• Team Samurai
13 hours ago, STVO said:

Here is what has been tried: run several full diagnostic tests, replaced inverter twice, and plugged in a new mothaboard.

You've already replaced the inverter (twice) and the mobo. Nothing else left but the compressor. 

13 hours ago, STVO said:

I can hear a very light high pitched beep.  It sounds like an attempt by the inverter to start the compressor. This sound will stop and reoccur again minutes later.

You're hearing the inverter attempting to run the compressor. But the compressor is mechanically locked up (bad bearing, whatever) so the inverter's internal overload protection is kicking in and cutting power to the compressor and attempting to re-start it a few minutes later. 

Compressor Part number: WR87X10111

Part number: WR87X10111

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.  I called GE and shared my frustration.  They offered to supply the parts at 50% off and send a GE technician.

Update:  A GE Technician came out and replaced the compressor, mothaboard, and inverter.  The fridge is running again and cooling slowly.  However, after 48 hours, the freezer is only down to 17 degrees, fridge at 37.  Is it typical to take this long to cool (assuming it will get to 0 at some point)?

Thanks, Steve

• Team Samurai
15 minutes ago, STVO said:

However, after 48 hours, the freezer is only down to 17 degrees,

This is the baseline indicator of sealed system health. A freezer should be able to achieve and maintain 0F. 48 hours is plenty long enough for this happen. 

At this point, three questions:

1. How are you measuring the freezer temperature? And please do not say "I read it on the display" because that is not an independent measurement!

2. Is the condenser fan (the one by the compressor) running?

3. Is the condenser clean?

• Like 1

Culprit found.  After unplugging the fridge for 20 minutes I powered it back up, inspecting the compressor and fan.  Both kicked on and as the compressor started to heat up, I began to hear a clicking come from the fan.  Originally, I thought this was just the noise of the new compressor, however, as the compartment heated further, the clicking became louder and, ultimately, stopped the fan from spinning.  The issue was the plastic fan housing had been melted by the technician's torch when soldering in the new compressor.  Once, I trimmed back the warped housing, the fan spinned freely and the temps in the freezer and fridge went to normal within a couple hours.  

Thanks for your help.  My wife loves me again.

• Like 2