Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Monogram fridge ZFSB23DRASS struggling to cool.

papabair

Please help!! Our GE Monogram fridge of around 10 years is struggling to maintain temperatures for about a year now.  Temperature change is random through out the day. Freezer wants to hang around 15 degrees even with the temperature set to -6. It Fluctuates randomly from 0 to 15 never dropping below zero. Fridge is set to 34 (it should be set at 37) but stays around 40 hardly ever dropping below 40 and getting as high as 47.  

I can hear the fan running and when the fridge is opened and closed the fan seems to function as it should. Off when opened, on when closed. 

We had a CL service guy come out and he said it needed a whole bunch of parts and was not worth fixing. However because of how bad reviews are on NEW refrigerators I'd LOVE to keep this thing if possible. 

I SO look forward to any help that may be out there.  

CL? Craigslist? Not sure what you mean by that but check your condenser and condenser fan motor in the back bottom of the refrigerator first. It may be dirty or the fan may not be going out, bad, not moving enough air.

• Like 1

Sorry yes (CL) Craigslist. A few months ago I pulled the fridge out and cleaned everything. It was pretty dusty but didn't seem to have any effect on performance after cleaning. The fan appeared to be spinning pretty fast...

We would have to see the frost pattern of the freezer and the refrigerator evaporator after it's been running for a while. You would have to take the back off the freezer and start there. It may tell us something, or you might have to take the bottom of the refrigerator apart as well. I'm suspecting a leak but don't know without seeing the frost pattern.

• Like 2

So to locate the frost pattern I need to remove the back of the inside of the freezer? Any other instructions you can add? And then you want me to take pictures of the frost pattern? 

Where is Grasshopper Papabair located?  maybe there are one of us in his city that can help him on a personal level.  Sorry if I offend anyone on CL but I personally might have to consider it to not be the best resource for reliable , knowledgeable, and professional appliance repair technicians.

Im in Seattle serving the Puget sound region.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mark Allen said:

Where is Grasshopper Papabair located?  maybe there are one of us in his city that can help him on a personal level.  Sorry if I offend anyone on CL but I personally might have to consider it to not be the best resource for reliable , knowledgeable, and professional appliance repair technicians.

Im in Seattle serving the Puget sound region.

Hey there, I'm in the Mesa, Arizona area. 

5 hours ago, papabair said:

So to locate the frost pattern I need to remove the back of the inside of the freezer? Any other instructions you can add? And then you want me to take pictures of the frost pattern? 

That would be very beneficial to us to help you. It's usually pretty easy to pull out the back cover in the the freezer compartment unless you have the rails in the way mounted to the sides of the freezer. Then you have to take one side of rails off to get the back off. It's a bit of extra work but easy enough. Yes, then take pics and post them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wobiii said:

That would be very beneficial to us to help you. It's usually pretty easy to pull out the back cover in the the freezer compartment unless you have the rails in the way mounted to the sides of the freezer. Then you have to take one side of rails off to get the back off. It's a bit of extra work but easy enough. Yes, then take pics and post them.

I will get on that asap and get those pictures back to you. Thanks 

Take a pic of the heater tube and post it. I'm not sure on this one. In the pic it looks like there is ice about half way up the evaporator but I'm not really sure. Has it been running since you took the picture? If so take another pic and post it.

12 hours ago, wobiii said:

Take a pic of the heater tube and post it. I'm not sure on this one. In the pic it looks like there is ice about half way up the evaporator but I'm not really sure. Has it been running since you took the picture? If so take another pic and post it.

Here are pics from this morning. Temperature on Freezer reads 10 degrees. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gxrgszoufv4wu5/AACakVKok5CfeUIvUzWVEpvsa?dl=0

Doesn't look like a sealed system so at this point I"m thinking it can be fixed. The heater is the thing at the bottom of the evaporator. It will most likely have glass tubes hooked up to a metal bracket with some wires attached. If it's not defrosting that may be the problem. Do you have an ohm meter?

7 hours ago, wobiii said:

Doesn't look like a sealed system so at this point I"m thinking it can be fixed. The heater is the thing at the bottom of the evaporator. It will most likely have glass tubes hooked up to a metal bracket with some wires attached. If it's not defrosting that may be the problem. Do you have an ohm meter?

Yes I do have an ohm meter. 

7 hours ago, wobiii said:

Also, Here are 4 more pics from this morning. Temperatures read freezer 19, Fridge 45. 

Ohm out that heater. It's in the second picture with the pink and blue wire attached to it and let us know what the results are.

I'm not seeing a sealed system problem at all. I think you have a defrost problem but there I go thinking again. At the top left behind the lightbulb there's probably a sensor that's white clipped on to the evaporator. If it has black where the wires enter it then it should be replaced. There were common problems with those. From the pics I'd change the heater while I was in there even if it ohms good, it don't look healthy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wobiii said:

I'm not seeing a sealed system problem at all. I think you have a defrost problem but there I go thinking again. At the top left behind the lightbulb there's probably a sensor that's white clipped on to the evaporator. If it has black where the wires enter it then it should be replaced. There were common problems with those. From the pics I'd change the heater while I was in there even if it ohms good, it don't look healthy.

Could this be a main board issue?

54 minutes ago, wobiii said:

Could be but you're jumping ahead.

Ok. I took a couple photos of I believe is the  sensor your wanting to see.  I don't see any black around it. Should I order a new sensor and new heater and start with that? 

22 hours ago, wobiii said:

Ohm out that heater. It's in the second picture with the pink and blue wire attached to it and let us know what the results are.

• Like 1

I haven't seem any indication of a sealed system problem or a defrost problem going by the pictures posted.