Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Monogram fridge ZFSB23DRASS struggling to cool.

papabair

1 hour ago, Spannerwrench said:

I haven't seem any indication of a sealed system problem or a defrost problem going by the pictures posted.

Ive ordered the new sensors, heater as well as main board just in case. Those should be here tomorrow. Is there something else you see that I should be addressing? This forum is AWESOME btw. Thank you to everyone involved helping me figure this out!!! 

4 hours ago, Spannerwrench said:

I haven't seem any indication of a sealed system problem or a defrost problem going by the pictures posted

The frost pattern looked funny because of the amount of frost at the top vs the bottom. I was thinking it may be going through a partial defrost based on imput from the sensor. Can't tell though, it could be from running it without the cover on? I thought the heater was bad looking at it in the pic. We really need to see the other evaporator to rule out a sealed system problem though as it could be running with a partial charge but that doesn't seem likely.

19 hours ago, wobiii said:

The frost pattern looked funny because of the amount of frost at the top vs the bottom. I was thinking it may be going through a partial defrost based on imput from the sensor. Can't tell though, it could be from running it without the cover on? I thought the heater was bad looking at it in the pic. We really need to see the other evaporator to rule out a sealed system problem though as it could be running with a partial charge but that doesn't seem likely.

Ok sorry for the lack of knowledge here.. Where is the other evaporator you need me to show you and what exactly do you need to see so get the pictures right. The new heater will be here today so I'll put that in and see if anything changes unless you tell me otherwise? Thanks 

Don't install the new heater yet, the other evaporator is at the bottom of the refrigerator compartment behind the adjustable drawer. You have to remove the drawers at the bottom to access it and it's under a big cover. See if you see any rust spots that have been leaking, green build up. What's the temps in the refrigerator been running?

The freezer and fresh food evaporators have separate defrost cycles.  The fresh food defrost uses ambient air to defrost the evaporator even when the compressor is running and the freezer evap is cooling.   However, during freezer defrost,  the compressor is off so no refrigerant passes to either evaporator   even if it results in the  fresh food compartment temp being above the set temp.  

So based on this,  the freezer evaporator thermistor can,  by itself,  cause the problems you are experiencing despite this being a dual evap fridge.  Thus it would seem your first step would be to replace the freezer evap thermistor,  if you find no evidence of a sealed  system failure, then proceed to replace the board and other thermistors (including the problematic pita ff evap thermistor). 

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wobiii said:

Don't install the new heater yet, the other evaporator is at the bottom of the refrigerator compartment behind the adjustable drawer. You have to remove the drawers at the bottom to access it and it's under a big cover. See if you see any rust spots that have been leaking, green build up. What's the temps in the refrigerator been running?

I unfortunately didn't see this post until after I had installed the freezer thermistor and new heater. The fridge has been running now with the new parts for a little over 13 hours with not much improvement. The freezer is currently at 9 and the fridge at 42. These were close to what I was getting before. Should I give it more time?

One thing to keep in mind is When I plugged the fridge back in the temps were reading freezer 40 and fridge 44 so something is working. The question is, is it better than what is was before? We shall see

Should I now locate the fridge evaporator seeing if there is anything visual and replace that thermistor as well? 

4 hours ago, papabair said:

I unfortunately didn't see this post until after I had installed the freezer thermistor and new heater. The fridge has been running now with the new parts for a little over 13 hours with not much improvement. The freezer is currently at 9 and the fridge at 42. These were close to what I was getting before. Should I give it more time?

One thing to keep in mind is When I plugged the fridge back in the temps were reading freezer 40 and fridge 44 so something is working. The question is, is it better than what is was before? We shall see

Should I now locate the fridge evaporator seeing if there is anything visual and replace that thermistor as well? 

FYI - The temperature on the freezer 4 hours later is back up to 21. Fridge 43.  

So this afternoon I replaced the main board as I wasn't seeing any improvement and had the new main board as backup staring at me! LOL.  I know I was instructed to wait on this  but It was quick and easy so I figured might as well rule that out since it doesn't seem the thermistor or new heater brought the improvement we are after. It was installed 9 hours ago. In 4 hours the freezer temp went from 24 to 7 and the fridge came down only a couple degrees.  I was stoked and figured all is well the main board did the trick. 5 hours later the temp is back up to 18 freezer 46 fridge. 

It seems like each time I've plugged the fridge back in after these 3 recent attempts the past few days ( Freezer Thermistor, Heater, Main Board) and after 4-5 hours of being powered on the cooling process appears to be working and the temperatures on both sides drop and repeat the same process as stated in the above paragraph. 7 degrees is the lowest Ive seen so far.  

It almost seems like the system might be overheating?? Could it be the condenser fan motor? and or maybe not spinning fast enough? While I had the back open for the main board I verified the fan was in deed spinning. I also checked the compressor which was on the warmer side of warm, not hot, to the touch and I could feel it working as well. I don't know how warm is to warm for the compressor. But overall those components appear to be functioning as they should be... 

Does a new main board need more time to learn/cool the fridge? 

Should I still attempt replacing the thermistor on the fridge side?

One more thing I just noticed. I apologize for so many posts.. 

Walking by the fridge I decide to check the temps again before going to bed. Freezer was at 20 and fridge 46. The temperatures are set to freezer 0 and fridge 37. 

Then I noticed the compressor is NOT running, cool to the touch and fan off even with the temps being high at 20 and 46. Until now I had always thought the compressor was running and trying to cool as the temps were rising and that was our issue. I never thought after seeing the temperatures high to verify the compressor was actually running.

It seems like the delay or lack of power while unplugged during a repair seems to help the compressor run longer once plugged back in and thats the reason for the cooler temps but then something happens and it over heats or something tells it to shut down?? 

Also, pressing the turbo cool button kicks the compressor on but after 10 minutes the compressor shuts off while the turbo cool function remains on. I tried this twice both times same result within 10-15 min. 

Hopefully this makes sense and helps you appliance whisperers out there do your thing!  

When you were in the back did you notice the condenser and if it was full of dust? (The thing the fan is connected to)

Edited by wobiii

21 minutes ago, wobiii said:

When you were in the back did you notice the condenser and if it was full of dust? (The thing the fan is connected to)

Yes and It was clean. 

See this discussion... different model number but same fridge,  same problem  : 

• Like 1

On January 22, 2016 at 2:33 PM, DurhamAppliance said:

See this discussion... different model number but same fridge,  same problem  : 

Problem FIXED!!!. I replaced ALL 5 thermistors just as Durnham Appliance suggested in the above post. Temps the first night dropped to -1 and 36. I haven't seen those temps in a year or so and they've been holding steady ever since. THANK YOU to everyone on this forum I could NOT have done it without you guys!!

Now I need to tackle my under counter GE Monogram ice machine that hasn't worked in a couple years. 

• Like 3

Guys like you are vital  in helping  us solve baffling problems.   Many techs and their customers will  benefit from your determination,  detailed info and especially your  decision to provide  a final update. Many people just leave us hanging, rendering their thread nearly useless.   So in addition to the info you provided, thanks for being conscientious.  

• Like 1