Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE dryer model DDE7209RALWW not working

Jennie Nelson Snipes

Jennie Nelson Snipes

Hello. I have a GE dryer model DDE7209RALWW, which I've had for 22 years. It is having a problem, and I was trying to decide whether to fix it or replace it. I called a repairman to ask some questions, but haven't had him come yet.  Someone in another thread said that it is one of the best dryers ever made, so I'd like to fix it instead of getting a new dryer. I don't know anything about fixing appliances, but my husband might try if we can get some help. Or at least to know whether to call the repairman or try it ourselves. 

The dryer has been repaired twice for fairly inexpensive problems, but unfortunately I don't remember what was done. The problem now: I pressed the start button, but it didn't start running at first. It made a long buzzing noise for about 4 seconds and then started, but it sounded noisy as it ran.  I decided to let it run and see what happened. It did make some noises, but dried the clothes. I tried to start it again to see what would happen, and it made the drawn-out buzzing sound again but wouldn't start turning. Then I pushed the button again, and it won't do anything. 

Can you tell what might be wrong? Thank you!

• Team Samurai

Turn the drum by hand to make sure it's not bound up. Should turn freely. If not, then the front drum support slides are probably worn through and binding the motor. 

If the drum turns smoothly and freely, then replace the motor as Brother AARDL suggested.

• Like 1

Jennie Nelson Snipes

My husband says there are nylon cords on each side, but one is gone or broken. What are these cords, and can we replace them? Are these the slides? If not, what do the slides look like?