LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kenmore Microwave 721.66339011 burn smell

RayHess

I have a Kenmore Microwave model: 721.66339011.  It has started to put out an "electrical burn" smell when running.   It appears to run fine still, heats, and works correctly.  I have the top off and can run it.  I can't see an smoke or isolate any particular part that seems to be the source of the smell.  How do I troubleshoot this?  Thanks for any help.

Ray

does it have a sweet order to the smell?

if do the high voltage transformer is failing

check the door switches for burnt/ heated push on connectors

they will also melt were the lugs go into the switch body

also the filter board with the main fuse on it can have

loose connections on the bottom of the board

this is an unit made by lg for sears

steve

Edited by leamy

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, RayHess said:

I have a Kenmore Microwave model: 721.66339011.  It has started to put out an "electrical burn" smell when running.   It appears to run fine still, heats, and works correctly.  I have the top off and can run it.  I can't see an smoke or isolate any particular part that seems to be the source of the smell.  How do I troubleshoot this?  Thanks for any help.

Ray

Thanks Leamy.

Not sure its a sweet odor, my son said yes, my wife said no, and I can't decide..  door switches are fine and all connections seems solid.  close sniffing while running it seems to be coming from the mag although that is right above the transformer and the fan is blowing over both.  Could not see any smoke and it works fine.  Anything I can check to voltage wise?  Thanks for your help.

Ray

Any suggestions that don't include paying $60 for a DVD set or $90 for a complete service repair book?  This microwave isn't worth that much. 

Thanks, Ray.

1 hour ago, RayHess said:

Any suggestions that don't include paying $60 for a DVD set or $90 for a complete service repair book?  This microwave isn't worth that much. 

Thanks, Ray.

If you'll go to the link I sent you above and go down the left side you'll find all the trouble shooting info you need. You don't have to pay a thing. Just do some reading and look at some pictures.

• Like 1

Well, it looks like the transformer.  After looking at the price and everything my wife decided she wanted a new one.  Thanks to all for your help.