Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

electric oven cutting in and out #790.92109010

Jeff1981

First time post!

I've got a Kenmore Electric Range #790.92109010; I'm guessing around 8 years old. I just noticed a rather high pitched soft noise during preheat (400*), and once it reached the desired temp, the oven kept on clicking on and off (much more than normal...every 5-10 seconds). I noticed that the oven power light kept on clicking on and off as well. 

The stovetop seems to do something similar; working fine if it is turned on high, but quickly cutting on and off (faster than usual) during heating (medium low heat). 

The clock and other functions seem to work fine. I took the back off to check for any loose wiring to power cord or operating board; all looks in good condition. The only thing I have done to it recently is reattach the display when it broke off.

Thoughts? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I am getting a consistent 211 vac from the outlet. Just tested the oven again, broiler works fine, clock, stove top on hi. It just seems that the oven power starts cutting in and out once the oven temp is reached.

Next step? Any thoughts are most appreciated.

• Team Samurai
3 hours ago, Jeff1981 said:

I am getting a consistent 211 vac from the outlet.

The allowable variance from standard 240 VAC is +10/-5%. This is well below that. You probably have a loose connection either at the range power cord terminal block or in the range outlet. The resistance (and heat) of a loose connection will increase as current flows through it causing the symptoms you're seeing. 

This sounds like it may be getting over my head when it comes to 240 vac electrical outlets. Would it be better to get an appliance repairman or an electrician to evaluate such symptoms? Or if this is something that is simpler than it seems, then I'm happy to listen to next step suggestions. Thanks in advance!

different diagnosis  lf both stove top and bake element are having the same problem as oppose to just the bake element.   These things don't normally heal themselves... so are you certain you were experiencing stove top problems or misunderstanding how they operate.  it's natural stove top burners cycle off and on faster on lower settings... that's how the temp is regulated..... 

Witj regards to your oven... are you experiencing problems when cooking  ie are things not being cooked properly ? 

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 1

I just had a friend with electrical background here; he says the power from the breaker box is all coming out around 212vac, so if it hasn't bothered anything else, then its probably not the power. 

The stove top seems to be working relatively well; i may have been a ltitle sensitive to the cycling. The oven is the main issue. The biggest issue is that once the oven reaches the desired temp (sometimes even turning off and on before preheat is even finished), it seems to be cycling on and off much more quickly than before (oven light turning on and off quite a bit).

Thoughts?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:50 AM, Samurai Appliance Repair Man said:

The allowable variance from standard 240 VAC is +10/-5%. This is well below that. You probably have a loose connection either at the range power cord terminal block or in the range outlet. The resistance (and heat) of a loose connection will increase as current flows through it causing the symptoms you're seeing. 

I am very confused how any of your burners or oven will work with that low of voltage! That is heating properly, Must take a long time to cook something

• Like 1

I am also surprised, but I have never had issues before...but then again I don't bake a ton. The washer/dryer and heat pump...everything... all running on same voltage. I reported it since I live in a condo, and waiting to hear back.

I am still not convinced we aren't dealing with a perception problem.  Elements cycle off and on,  even during preheat.... according to the user manual, the oven indicator light will turn off when the element cycles off but you should still see  the "preheat" function illuminated.   So this brings me back to my previous question.... have you experienced issues with cooking?   Does the preheat indicator turn off when set temperature is reached if,  in fact,  the set temperature is reached? 

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 1

yes, I understand what you are getting at. I went back and referred to the manual as well. All seems to be working properly, except the oven indicator light seems to be going on and off much more frequently than previously (I have lived here with this stove for the past 3 years, baking about once or twice a week with daily use of the stove top). While the food does bake within the given time expectations, and according to correct temperatures, the oven element turning on and off much more frequently than usual is the main cause of concern for me at the moment.

I'll admit that in my memory I remember the oven indicator light remaining on for the duration of baking, and seeing it turn on and off about every 10 seconds or so alarmed me at first (my memory must have failed me). But once I did go back and read the manual, it did say that the indicator light will go on and off; I'm just unnerved at how frequently it is seems to be turning on and off these days during the baking cycle, including even during preheating towards the end of the preheat for a few moments before the audible signal for the completion of the preheat cycle.

In addition to checking voltage, we also re-checked all power connections; all seem to be in good condition and order (besides the low voltage of 212vac...which maybe has always been this way?)

I guess at the end of the day it seems to be ultimately doing its job, but it seems to be functioning with some irregularity, which caught my attention.

Just an update concerning voltage...

I had the power guy come out, and he says that my building is designed and rated for 208 vac. No one is sure why, but it is a 3 phase transformer, from phase to phase both 'hot legs' are 120 vac, but together it comes out to 208 vac. I'm sure I am miscommunicating this, but that's what I heard at least! :). Long story short, no problem with the power, and I guess some appliances are designed for this, and I believe my stove is one of them, since it mentions this on the model and serial number.

I still have a stove that seems to be jumping on and off a lot more than it used to in traditional baking mode, but at least my house isn't totally broken.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts! 

• Like 1