Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

whirlpool dryer dry times

frustrated diyer

frustrated diyer

I don't think so,

The clothes seem just as dry as they should and similar to my other washer at my other house

• 2 weeks later...
frustrated diyer

Hello all,

I do not believe this is a washer issue.  the clothes seem to be spun pretty dry

Any other suggestions.  Now that we have verified that the dryer temps are good what else is there.

Just the seals?  How tight are they supposed to be?  which seals are likely the issue?  the felt seal around the drum or the seal around the  lint screen correct?

Any guidance would be appreciated.  

frustrated diyer

Gasket is still on the door  and in good condition

No on disconnecting the duct  but I have verified that it is clean, with plenty of airflow

frustrated diyer

Ok here is the latest. 

Washer seems fine, spins the clothes pretty dry

Checked the seals, door gasket is fine, front seemed fine    rear was worn out  

Replaced it thinking I had finally tackled the problem....

No change   took the dryer over  70 minutes to dry:  4 towels, two pairs jeans, pair of sweats

Im running out of guesses here, any other suggestions

In situations like this one needs to tackle it from every angle. What a tech would do is ask questions of the customer and get that feedback to point them in somewhat of a right direction. We are not there to test the dryer properly with meters and such so we rely on you to check things for us. It has been suggested here numerous times to disconnect the vent and try drying a load. That would at least rule out the possibility of a venting issue. And yes, you did say that the vent was clear and blowing well, but one needs to definitively rule it out. 

• Like 2

The one thing that everyone has asked to do hasn't been done.  Disconnect the duct from the back of the dryer.  LEAVE IT disconnected.  Run the cycle with no duct connected to the back.  Let the clothes steam up the room; once won't hurt anything.  How long is the dry time?

• Like 1

its the coils..not reingiting causing intermittent heat and lond dry times..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, allheights said:

its the coils..not reingiting causing intermittent heat and lond dry times..

You are right.  Since we don't have a model number, no one ever found out whether it is a gas or electric dryer!

Please post model number.

I don't see the dryer FAQ linked on the new Web site so here it is:

http://fixitnow.com/laundry-appliance-repair-help/dryer-repair-faq/

Of all the many explanations you will find there.  This is my favorite:

http://fixitnow.com/2004/11/appliance-repair-revelation-burner.htm

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2004/11/30/appliance-repair-revelation-burner-operation-in-a-gas-dryer/

Now, if it is really a gas dryer you have, allheights is most likely right, though the ignitor has a small possibility of going, so you might want to check it while you are in there.  But just replacing the coils will likely do the trick if you are unable to test things.

See here for simple video explanations on a Whirlpool:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2012/06/04/whirlpool-gas-dryer-no-heat/

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2012/04/19/gas-dryer-stopped-drying-video/

Troubleshooting flow chart you probably won't need:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2010/06/23/troubleshooting-flow-chart-for-a-gas-dryer-with-no-heat/

Where did the FAQ link go, anyway?

Edited by Tim M

On February 2, 2016 at 8:51 PM, frustrated diyer said:

Hi some additional info it gets hot at times and then cools off for a long time

now I'm guessing it's one of the thermostats

model is LER7646EQ2

He posted the model number it is a Electric Dryer.

On February 3, 2016 at 10:31 AM, evaappliance said:

in light of everything else being good , check the timer to see if it is loosing contact on the heater circuit  intermittently during the cycle.

Other than checking it with no vent , I'm going to re suggest my previous thought:)

Here is where I think we have arrived for steps to check:

1)  Run the dryer disconnected from the ductwork.  And check the dry times and cycling.

2)  Run the dryer disconnected from the ductwork.  And check the dry times and cycling.

3)  See #2 above.

4)  With dryer still disconnected from ductwork, run empty dryer with 75% of the disconnected duct connection on the back of the dryer covered with duct tape (to simulate a load).  With a temperature probe, such as an instant read meat thermometer, measure the temps in the exhaust duct.

5)  Read the dryer FAQ:  http://fixitnow.com/laundry-appliance-repair-help/dryer-repair-faq/

6)  Now with the dryer running, and the duct disconnected and restricted with tape, check the operation of your thermostats.  It should be the cycling thermostat on the housing of the fan that is turning the heat on and off.  You can check it with a volt-ohm meter, a non-contact voltage tester, or a contact tester.  Basically, you are just following the electricity through the machine, testing to see if is the cycling thermostat on the fan or the high-limit thermostat on the heater coil box that is turning on and off.  It should be the cycling thermostat that is doing the work.  If the high-limit thermostat is the one turning on and off, there are two possible causes:  the cycling thermostat is stuck on (very unlikely) or the airflow is restricted enough that the cycling thermostat isn't getting hot enough to turn off (see #1), which will then make the heating coil get too hot, and its thermostat will do the temperature controlling.  The high-limit will have much longer times between cycles because it has and 80° difference where the cycling only has 25° between on and off, plus the heater coil will take longer to cool anyway.

7)  Unless you have a "calibrated palm" you can't tell if your airflow is good enough by feeling outside your house.  You have to have something in your experience to compare it to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
frustrated diyer

All

looks like replacing the rear felt gasket solved the problem.  It still seems like the dry times were long, but overall have improved dramatically.  

Want to thank you all for your advise and direction.  

Many thanks

Troy LaMontagne